You are here

Scholars' FAQ

How much money do I need to bring with me to the United States?

Once you have secured a faculty sponsor, you must be able to prove sufficient funding for the length of your stay. The University requires a bank statement indicating the amount of funds available in your account. In addition, you must procure a letter from your university or company indicating your status and the amount of funds, if any, it will be contributing to your research. Please note that the total of all grants, savings and salary must be enough to cover the following:

$2,800 per month for the visiting scholar

$1000 per month for a spouse

$500 per month for each child

For instance, you would need to show $4,300 per month if you were to come with your spouse and one child

Back to Top

Once I arrive in New York, who should I see?

Make an appointment with a staff member at the Chazen Institute by email or by calling (212) 854-4750 to obtain a general overview of Columbia Business School along with necessary paperwork. After that, please visit the ISSO office.

Back to Top

How do I get a Columbia University ID?

In order to access all Columbia University buildings, you must have a Columbia University ID card. When you visit the Chazen office, we will provide you with a letter to get the CUID card free of charge. After you have met with the Chazen officer, please proceed to 204 Kent Hall with your Chazen letter and official letter from the provost.

Back to Top

How do I get a Columbia University e-mail account?

The Columbia University community is served by Columbia University Academic Information Systems (AcIs). In order to access and use the University’s computing network, you must have either a network ID or a CUNIX ID and password. The CUNIX ID provides you with 10MB of disk space on CUNIX (for e-mail, file storage and Web publishing), access to the computing lab in 102 Philosophy Hall and an allotted amount of connect time. The forms for both the network ID and CUNIX ID will be sent to you with your official acceptance letter from the provost.

Back to Top

How can I configure my laptop for Columbia Business School's network?

The School does not have computer laboratories. All MBA students are required to purchase a laptop computer, so you should bring your own. The School’s Information Technology Group (ITG) will assist you in configuring your laptop. Upon your arrival at the School, a Chazen Institute staff member will explain the procedure for connecting your computer to the School’s network.

Back to Top

How do I get library borrowing privileges?

All Columbia University libraries are accessible with a CUID card. To obtain library borrowing privileges, the Chazen Institute will give you a letter to present at the Library Information Office in 201 Butler Library.

Back to Top

Can I attend classes?

Scholars may audit a limited number of classes with the permission of the instructor. Scholars are not permitted to audit oversold classes. To determine if a class is oversold, please contact the Chazen Institute first before asking permission from the business school instructor. Visiting scholars are here to work on their own independent research and as auditors are observers to the class. Since they are not full-time students, there is a limit to the number of classes visiting scholars are able to audit at one time.

Back to Top

Which health care providers does the University suggest?

U.S. Department of State regulations require all J-1 visa holders and their dependents to have health insurance, with specified minimum coverage, while in the United States. We encourage you to review the University's information on this and much more:Essential Information for Scholars (PDF).

Additional insurers for supplemental insurance (medical evacuation and repatriation of remains) can be found by contacting the following:

International SOS

Additional insurers for whole policies can be found by contacting the following:


Back to Top

What housing is available in New York City?

Housing in New York City is expensive and difficult to obtain, so be sure to allow ample time to arrange a place of residence. Unfortunately scholars are not eligible for university housing. Some useful links for your housing search follow:

International House
A residence specifically intended for international scholars and students.

Off-Campus Housing Assistance
Off-Campus Housing Assistance (OCHA) helps Columbia affiliates in their search for rental housing in non-Columbia-owned buildings in the area.

Craig’s List
This online community offers real estate and more.
An Internet market, this site lists sublets and roommates.

Back to Top

Are there any consulate fees when applying for the visa?

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has implemented a mandatory fee of $180, paid by the applicant when applying at a consulate for initial attendance under a J-1 visa. The Student and Exchange Visitor Information Systems (SEVIS) fee must be paid BEFORE applying for the visa and is nonrefundable. It can be paid online by completing form I-901, available at After you submit your payment with a credit card, be sure to print the confirmation receipt to use as proof of payment.

For additional information about the SEVIS fee and other payment options, please refer to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Website.

Back to Top

What is the difference between a ‘Visiting Scholar’, ‘Officer of Research’, and ‘Staff Officer of Research’ designation?
The difference between the three designations is determined by the type of research that the visitor will be pursuing.  ‘Visiting Scholars’ are not permitted to represent themselves as having a formal Columbia affiliation, are not permitted to partake in collaborative research, and must be pursuing their own, independent study, whereas ‘Officers of Research’ or ‘Staff Officers of Research’ are permitted to collaborate with Columbia Faculty and may represent themselves as having a formal visiting Columbia affiliation.  All three designations provide the scholar with library access and borrowing privileges, a temporary Columbia University ID and email address, and the option to audit up to two open courses per semester.

Back to Top

What do you consider “collaborative” research?

Some examples of collaborative research include, but are not limited to; coauthoring papers, chapters or books, collecting and analyzing data together, or co-PIs on grant(s).   The Chazen Institute and the Dean’s Office have the final decision in choosing the proper designation for the applicant.

Back to Top

Mailing List

Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest at Chazen.



Frequently Asked Questions

Want to know how to contact us? Or what we have to offer? Try here first.

Expand >

The Chazen Institute does not have members; most of our programs are open to anyone. All current students and faculty receive our mailings.

Email us at, or call 212-854-4750. Our mailing address is Columbia Business School, 3022 Broadway, Uris Hall 2M2, New York, NY 10027. Our fax number is 212-851-9509.

Simply email us at and let us know you'd like to be added to our list. To subscribe to Chazen Global Insights, our e-newsletter, click here.

Winter study tours are announced in May; spring tours are announced in October. Check our study tour page for updates.

Alumni are welcome at most of the events we sponsor. Alumni can also learn another language through the Chazen Language Program. Be sure to sign up for the Chazen Institute email list on the alumni website to receive notification of upcoming events.

< Collapse

Chazen Global Insights

Innovation, India-Style

R. Gopalakrishnan of Tata Sons offers a surprising take on what’s truly new.

Read More >

A Fair Hearing for Sovereign Debt

Market-based solutions to sovereign-debt crises have a high potential for chaos. A prime example: Argentina’s default.

Read More >

3 Steps to Board Membership

A board position brings prestige, influence, and power. Speakers at a recent Columbia Business School alumni event offered tips on getting a seat at the table.

Read More >

Hello, Financial Sector? Earth Is Calling.

The director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University explains why it’s in financiers’ own best interest to combat climate change.

Read More >

The Surprising Secret of Successful Negotiation

Forget what you thought you knew. Letting the other party make the first offer doesn't always pay.

Read More >

A Greek Morality Tale

Austerity has failed repeatedly. And yet, when Greece got into trouble, it was tried again.

Read More >

Land a Top Job in Asia

It’s a land of growth, opportunity, and complexity. In part two of our series on careers in Asia, top recruiting experts describe how to crack the region’s hidden job market.

Read More >

Europe's Lapse of Reason

The European Union's malaise is self-inflicted, says Columbia Business School's resident Nobel Laureate.

Read More >

The Road to the C-Suite Goes Through Asia

No matter where your home base is, Asia is a necessary stopover on the career path to the corner office. Top search executives explain why.

Read More >


CBS students: Interested in organizing a Chazen summer or winter study tour? Attend an information session Wed., March 31 at 12:30 p.m. in Uris 140.

Registration now open for “India’s Unfinished Reforms” featuring Rajiv Lall of Indian infrastructure firm IDFC. April 14, 5:30 p.m., University Club, New York.
Learn more >

Seats still available for April 1 talk by Shang-Jin Wei, Chief Economist of the Development Bank of Asia, on Asia’s economic outlook.
View details >