B9677-010: Retailing: The Design & Marketing of Luxury Products (Master Class)
T - Full Term, 06:00PM to 09:15PM
Instructor: Ketty MaisonrougeDownload Syllabus
View course evaluation
This class addresses the unique properties, opportunities, and challenges of the luxury industry by studying issues relevant to the field in the various aspects of the business, from design, production and management to distribution and promotion. 20 MBA students from Columbia Business School work in teams of 8 with undergraduate students from Parsons School for Design (4 MBA and 4 Parsons students) to solve actual case studies formulated exclusively for this class by the participating companies. The following companies will participate in the Fall 2012 semester: Chanel, Hermes, Loro Piana, Pomellato, and Van Cleef & Arpels (see project descriptions on Angel).
- Student must have received H or HP in both the "Marketing Strategy" and the "Managing Marketing Programs" core courses
- Must have taken or be enrolled in at least one of the following courses OR must have relevant experience in the Luxury Industry (to be reviewed and approved by Prof. Maisonrouge): "Integrated Marketing Strategy"; "Marketing Research"; "Managing Brands, Identity & Experience"; "Marketing & the Internet"; "Retail Fundamentals"; "Retailing Leadership"; "Strategic Consumer Insights"; "Marketing Plans Workshop"; "Retailing; Financial, Marketing & Strategic Integration"
All classes are mandatory and please see the following additional important dates:
• Pre-Semester writing assignment and project preferences due Thursday, August 23rd at 9AM
• Team Assignment issued on Monday, August 27th at 12PM
• In-person meeting with Prof Maisonrouge on Tuesday, September 4th
• Please note that the 9/25 class has been rescheduled for 9/28, in observance of Yom Kippur. Attendance on Friday, 9/28 is mandatory.
• Tentative meeting dates (All dates TBC- see full schedule on Angel):
- Meeting #1: Friday, September 14th (Except Hermes, which will meet on Wed, Sept 12, 5-6:30PM)
- Meeting #2: Friday, October 5th (Except Hermes, which will meet on Wed, Oct 3, 5-6:30PM)
- Meeting #3: Friday, October 26th
- Meeting #4: Friday, November 16th
Please see full course description on Angel for all important details including Master Class code of conduct and syllabus prior to bidding.