Integrated Marketing Strategy focuses on what business managers need to know to create strategies that achieve competitive advantage for products and services. The course will provide the insights and tools required to understand how marketing strategy integrates with key functions across the enterprise – product development, operations, finance and sales -- in developing and executing successful business strategies. The course will also focus on marketplace dynamics -- how to understand, anticipate and effectively respond to competitor actions.
While the course will build on a theoretical foundation, it is designed to be practical, hands-on, and applied, giving students the opportunity to analyze and plan integrated marketing strategies drawing on examples from firms in a variety of industries. Students will gain a deep and practical understanding of integrated marketing strategy from four mutually reinforcing approaches:
• Interactive presentations of relevant concepts and frameworks
• Guest speakers drawn from senior executive ranks of major corporations (see below)
• Case discussions spanning numerous industries including consumer packaged goods, airlines, pharmaceuticals, data new media, high tech et al
Guest speakers during the semester include:
• Mark Powers, CFO, Jet Blue
• William Deutsch, CEO, W. J. Deutsch & Sons (US Importer of Yellow Tail wine)
• Tony Tjan, CEO, Cue Ball Group
• Mike Ward, President, IKEA, North America
• Jane Friedman, ex-CEO, Harper Collins; CEO, OpenRoad Media
Prerequisites: B6601 "Marketing Strategy" and B6502 "Strategy Formulation".
Adjunct Professor of Business
Len Sherman brings over thirty years of business experience and academic research on
growth strategy, innovation and entrepreneurship to Columbia Business School. At CBS,
Professor Sherman teaches “Integrated Marketing Strategy” and "Entrepreneurship in
Large Enterprises to MBA and EMBA students, earning the Dean’s Award for Teaching
Excellence in 2013.
Prior to teaching at Columbia, Dr. Sherman was a...