This course, which is only offered in the Fall 2013 semester (and not in the Spring 2014), concentrates on the fundamentals associated with Finance, Marketing and Strategies of a Retailing Enterprise through interactive case discussions; lectures and dynamic industry leaders.
The course objective is for students to obtain a thorough understanding of the Financial and Marketing Strategies in retail. Students will learn from case discussions and lectures as well as gain a “real world” in-depth understanding of the retailing industry and specific companies from discussions and personal interactions with industry leaders.
Students will gain exposure to all aspects of retailing:
- Department stores (e.g., Federated Department Stores-now Macy’s)
- Unique consumer-oriented technology companies (e.g., Microsoft, Google)
- Mass merchandisers (e.g., Sears Holdings)
- Discount Store Operators (e.g., Wal-Mart, Target)
- Specialty Apparel Stores/Vertically integrated retailers (e.g., The Gap, Polo Ralph Lauren)
- Hard goods/Home improvement retailers (e.g., Best Buy, The Home Depot)
- Luxury Goods companies/Upscale retailers (e.g., Gucci, Neiman Marcus)
- Online retailers (e.g., eBay)
- Warehouse club operators (e.g., Costco)
- Private Equity Investment Companies (Warburg Pincus, KKR)
Course requirements (and evaluation) are five case write ups (only three page maximum in length) –14 percent each and class participation 30 percent – there is no final exam. Students can choose which 5 out of 8 case studies to write up but will be required to read one case and supplemental reading weekly.
Domenico De Sole - Chairman of Tom Ford Brands and former President-Gucci Group
Kevin Turner, COO, Microsoft
Stephen Sadove, Chairman & CEO, Saks
Millard Drexler, Chairman & CEO, J. Crew
Frank Blake, Chairman & CEO, The Home Depot
Dean Nelson, Partner, KKR Private Equity
David Tehle, EVP & CFO, Dollar General
Paul R. Charron, Senior Advisor, Warburg Pincus
Pamela Hootkin, SVP Treasurer & Investor Relations, Phillips-Van Heusen
Brett Biggs, CFO, Walmart – US Operations
Rob Campbell, SVP Finance, Nordstrom
Mark Aaron, SVP of Investor Relations, Tiffany
Rick Perkal, Managing Partner, Irving Place Capital
Deborah Weinswig, Managing Director, Citi Group
Rob Coope, General Manager, Costco Wholesale
Jeffrey Feiner was a Columbia Business School faculty member from 2003 to 2016.