You are here
The Deming Cup
Deming Cup 2014 / Call for Nominations
The Deming Cup is an annual prize presented by the Deming Center at Columbia Business School to recognize a world leader who has made outstanding contributions in the area of operational excellence and has fostered the culture of continuous improvement in an organization.
A judging committee, led by co-chairs Terry Lundgren (Chairman, President and CEO, Macy’s Inc., 2012 Deming Cup Winner), Sergio Marchionne (Chairman and CEO, Chrysler Group LLC; CEO, Fiat SpA, 2011 Deming Cup Winner) and Paul O’Neill (72nd Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, former Chairman and CEO, Alcoa), will evaluate the nominees. The winner will be honored at a dinner on October 28, 2014 at Columbia University.
To nominate an individual fill in this form.
View the 2014 Deming Cup Call for Nominations flyer.
Read the call for nominations letter.
Judging Committee 2014:
- Cesar Alierta, Chairman and CEO, Telefónica
- Robert Amen, Executive in Residence, Columbia Business School
- Lucien Arkas, Chairman, Arkas Group
- Wolfgang Bernhard, Member of the Board of Management, Daimler AG
- Roman Blanco, President and CEO, Santander Bank and
Santander Holding USA
- Ivoncy Brochmann Ioschpe, Chairman, Iochpe-Maxion S.A.
- John Church, SVP Supply Chain, General Mills
- John Coatsworth, Provost, Columbia University
- Bruno Di Leo, SVP for Sales and Distribution, IBM Corporation
- Ali Doğramaci, Chair - Board of Trustees, Bilkent University
- Awi Federgruen, Professor, Columbia Business School
- Beth Ford, Chief Supply Chain & Operations Officer, Land O’Lakes, Inc.
- Nelson Fraiman, Professor - Deming Center Director, Columbia Business School
- Peter Gibbons, EVP Global Operations, Mattel
- Lynne Greene, Group President, The Estee Lauder Companies
- Thomas Groos, Partner, City Light Capital
- Richard Jaffe, Managing Director, Stifel, Nicolaus & Company
- Fisk Johnson, Chairman and CEO, SC Johnson Inc.
- Klaus Kleinfeld, Chairman and CEO, Alcoa
- Shelly Lazarus, Chairman Emeritus, Ogilvy & Mather
- Sangwan Lee, Executive Advisor to CEO, Samsung Electronics
- Nicolás Loaiza, Co-founder and CEO, Bodytech
- Terry Lundgren, Chairman, President and CEO, Macy's, Inc.
- Sergio Marchionne, Chairman and CEO, Chrysler Group LLC; Fiat S.p.A.
- Jorge Morán, Senior Fellow at Harvard University
- David Niles, President, SSA & Company
- Bennett Nussbaum, Senior Advisor to Lone Star Funds / Hudson Advisors
- Paul O'Neill, 72nd Secretary of the US Treasury
- Quentin Roach, Senior Vice President & Chief Procurement Officer, Merck
- Paolo Rocca, Chairman and CEO, Tenaris S.A.
- R. Seshasayee, Executive Vice Chairman, Ashok Leyland Ltd.
- Keith Sherin, Vice Chairman (GE); Chairman and CEO (GE Capital)
- Charles Sorenson, President and CEO, Intermountain Healthcare
- George Stalk, Senior Advisor and BCG Fellow, The Boston Consulting Group
- Burt Steinberg, Former President and Director, DressBarn
- Ratan Tata, Chairman, Tata Sons Limited
- David Thurm, COO, Art Institute of Chicago
- Hans Van Alebeek, EVP, Supply Chain Opperations, Nike
- Garrett Van Ryzin, Professor, Columbia Business School
Criteria and Eligibility Requirements
The Deming Cup is seeking individuals who led initiatives in continuous improvement and helped change the culture within their company/organization.
- Global leader who has applied and demonstrated the Deming principles
- Organization that exhibits multidimensional excellence (for instance excellence in safety, environmental responsibility and a view towards inclusion)
- Organization known for continuous improvement.
- An organization that has increased in shareholder value over a sustained period of time due to organic growth
- An organization where operational excellence has made a decisive impact on the competitive position of the firm
- Evidence of a culture in which all stakeholders in the organization are treated with dignity and respect
- Leader who requires data driven analysis and has clear commitment to impactful training and skill development
The nomination can be self or third-party recommendation. The nominee must demonstrate his/her contribution in the achievements of operational excellence, through specific and measurable outcomes.
Individuals can only receive the award once and the nominee must be alive at the time of nomination.
We are pleased to announce that the winners of the 2013 Deming Cup are H. Fisk Johnson, Chairman and CEO, SC Johnson & Son, Inc. and Paolo Rocca, Chairman and CEO, Tenaris S.A.
The 2013 Deming Cup Award Ceremony was held on Tuesday, October 29 at Columbia University.
The Judging Committe was led by Rob Amen '73, an executive in residence at the School and former CEO of International Flavors and Fragrances, and Paul O'Neill, 72nd Secretary of the US Treasury and former director and chairman of Alcoa.
Lessons learned from the Deming Cup Winners