Crain's New York Business Perfect Pitch Competition
The Annual Crain's New York Business Perfect Pitch Competition will take place on October 11, 2013 at 2PM.
Participate to pitch directly to New York Business reporters! The Annual Crain’s New York Perfect Pitch Competition was designed to empower entrepreneurs in our community to hone their media pitch skills through skills training and experience while competing to receive a Best Media Pitch Award. The competition is open to ventures led by all Columbia University students, faculty, staff and alumni.
The competition will be open to attendance by the broader Columbia community, including the public, and will provide an engaging opportunity to learn about effective media pitching and see entrepreneurs and journalists in action. The competition’s finalists will be interviewed live by the competition’s judging panel comprised of staff from Crain’s New York Business. Details are below.
The Lang Center wishes to Crain's New York Business reporters for serving as judges to the competition.
The Lang Center also wishes to thank the Career Management Center at Columbia Business School for their support.
Firms to vie for media attention in Crain's contest
Congratulations to Laura Allen, The First Prize Winner for the 2012 Annual Crain’s New York Business Perfect Pitch Competition. Watch Laura Allen's Winning Pitch.
• Special two hour workshop on crafting their media pitch
• Opportunity to compete for “Best Media Pitch” awards
• Winners covered in upcoming Crain’s New York Business story
• Complimentary six-month subscription to Crain’s NY
• Finalists of the competition will be profiled in a follow up piece in Crains New York Business
• In addition the Winner, along with two runner-up finalists, are covered in two additional articles from Crain’s reporter including links to three 2-minute videos (on day of event, 6 months out and 12 months out) to show progress of the businesses
Competition Audience Benefits:
• Opportunity to learn about effective media pitches
• Ability to vote for audience favorite award
• Peer networking at post-competition reception
The competition is open to ventures led by all Columbia University students, faculty, staff and alumni who meet the following qualifications:
1. Business or non-for-profit headquarters in New York
2. At least one full-time employee and at least one part-time or contract employee
*Application questions are below.
Fifteen (15) qualified applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Accepted entrants must be available and attend the following required events:
1. Media Pitch Workshop with strategic communications specialist Sally Sherry '06, Tuesday, October 1, 6:00-8:00pm Uris Hall
2. 90 Second Media Pitch Video Clip due Thursday, October 3. A videographer will be available for contestants from 3-6:00pm in Uris Hall
3. Perfect Pitch Competition, Friday, October 11, 2:00-5:00pm, Uris Hall. A reception will follow from 5:00-6:30pm.
Application - Due September 18th; application submission is now closed.
Be part of the audience! Register to attend the competition.
Columbia Business School Affiliation (please specify student, alumni, or CCBP):
Company Description (one paragraph):
Media coverage to date, if any (publication and date):
Is your company currently profitable? Y/N
Total Number of Company Employees:
Please describe in one paragraph your most critical media message and target audience:
Revenue information will be kept strictly confidential.
The Lang Center wishes to Crain's New York Business reporters for serving as judges to the competition. The Lang Center also wishes to thank the Career Management Center at Columbia Business School for their support.