- Lang Spotlight
The Eugene Lang Entrepreneurship Center is pleased to offer passes to Columbia Business School entrepreneurs to the Harlem Garage near Columbia’s Morningside campus. The Harlem Garage, founded this year, is a city-funded small business incubator featuring low-cost office space at communal tables.
Having a space where the Columbia entrepreneurial community can congregate is critical to help grow young companies. David K. Cho ’15, founder of Soko Glam, an online beauty bar selling the most popular Korean beauty products, was among the first group of business school student entrepreneurs given a pass to Harlem Garage. “It really means a lot to Soko Glam because it gives us a space to not only work, but also incubate ideas with other like-minded entrepreneurs,” David said. “As we expand our team, having a place to meet and work is crucial in meeting our goals.”
Eran Mizrahi ’14 who is working Meal Idea, a free app that lets users search from over 40,000 recipes, echoed David’s sentiment. “The lack of suitable space resulted in so much value being lost,” he said. “Rather than working in isolation, Harlem Garage makes it easy for us to facilitate the exchange of ideas and collaborate on problem solving.”
Harlem Garage is one of several new techie attractions north of 96th Street. Columbia University professor Sam Sia opened Harlem Biospace in November, which will host budding pharmaceutical and bioengineering businesses.
To inquire about the space and receive a Harlem Garage pass, please contact Deb Li at DLi15gsb.columbia.edu. Passes are now available for weekdays. Please sign up by 5pm the day before you would like to have access on the Google Doc.
Please note the following:
- Only people who are signed up are allowed to use the space
- Need to show Columbia University ID upon arrival
- Harlem Garage (HG) is NOT Columbia University property, so please respect the space and the neighborhood
- Safety is a priority, so be mindful of your surroundings especially late at night
- HG hours for CBS students are Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm
- HG Address: 318 West 118th Street bet Manhattan Ave. and 8th Ave.
- PLEASE adhere to rules and set a good precedent for CBS so that we and other students after us will continue to have this opportunity