You are here
Columbia Startup Lab
Columbia Startup Lab-WeWork (CSL) is the Columbia University young-alumni co-working space located on the ground floor of the WeWork Soho West, located at 69 Charlton Street. It is a cross-school initiative between Columbia Entrepreneurship, the Columbia Law School, the Engineering School, Columbia College, and the School of International and Public Affairs.
CSL hosts 71 seats for graduating entrepreneurs across Columbia University, many of which are dedicated to Columbia Business School entrepreneurs. A competitive selection process takes place during the Spring semester.
Apply now for the June 3, 2015 start date in the Columbia Startup Lab (CSL).
Application Process, Details & Dates
Applications Due: 11:59PM March 8, 2015 - Submit now.
- Teams must select one Columbia University-affiliated founding member, from the above mentioned schools to apply.
- Only one application per team will be considered, regardless of the school in which the founder is affiliated.
Weeks of March 9 & 16
- Selection committee comprised of faculty and staff involved in entrepreneurship at Columbia will review applications
Week of March 23
- If deemed eligible, teams will be required to have an in-person interview with member(s) of the selection committee.
Week of April 6
- Admissions decisions announced
CSL is open to young alumni founders and their teams from each of the partner schools listed above who are committed to working on their venture full-time. Eligibility details follow:
- Columbia Business School: February & May 2015 graduates (EMBA & Full-time)
- October 2014 graduates (EMBA only – must not have been part of the 2014-2015 CSL cohort)
Contact Sandra Merrill at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Liz Wilkes '13 of Exubrancy talks about the Columbia Startup Lab.
Schedule a CSL-Tour
Columbia Business School students and alumni interested in taking a brief look at the Columbia Startup Lab are welcome to sign up for a tour. Tours are currently available from February through April, 2015. Registration is required to attend.
General questions on the space and admissions requirements will be answered during the tour. Visit the CSL photo gallery.
Quick Facts About CSL
- Admitted teams may spend up to 1 year in the space but are required to commit to a minimum of 4 months.
- The space is administered by WeWork and includes: furnishings (desk & chair), WiFi, water/coffee, cleaning/maintenance and access to common facilities across the global WeWork network.
- CSL provides ongoing workshops, office hours, networking events, and community building activities to help resident ventures advance their businesses. All CSL teams are encouraged to participate.
- Columbia University affiliated tenants are required to commit to a four-month term in the space at a rate of $150 per month/per seat. Non-Columbia University team members will be required to make a contribution of $400 per month/per seat
Summer Fellowship Program
The Summer Fellowship Program enables MBA students to contribute management expertise to growing startup organizations.
March 11, 2015
February 17, 2015
February 9, 2015
February 7, 2015
January 30, 2015
January 5, 2015
Browse businesses from our community of entrepreneurs.Visit
Join the Mailing List
Learn more about the program by subscribing to our email list.Sign Up
Innovation and Entrepreneurship @ Columbia provides a platform to develop new ideas by leveraging the cross-functional capabilities and knowledge of the University at large.
Ron Gonen '04 EMBA
Gonen came up with the idea for RecycleBank, a start-up that pays households for recycling, when he was a student at Columbia.
Andrea Wenner '05
Wenner considered several other ventures before developing Out2Play, a nonprofit that builds and refurbishes playgrounds at New York Public Schools.
Andrea Miller '02
After graduation, Miller launched Tango, a multimedia company focused on love and relationships. "Think Sex and the City meets Oprah."