Today's challenging context requires organizations to find real solutions to drive growth and make new ventures successful.
Developed by Professor Rita McGrath, author of Discovery Driven Growth and a leading expert on strategic business development, Leading Strategic Growth and Change teaches participants to thrive in a rapidly changing, highly uncertain environment. The program also demonstrates how to apply tools and techniques to generate growth opportunities.
Leading Strategic Growth and Change is a five-day program focused on the process of finding opportunities, launching new ventures, and leading necessary organizational changes to revitalize an organization.
Participants learn how to thrive in rapidly changing and highly uncertain environments, gain insight into a current pressing change initiative within their own organization, and immediately begin to apply the learning to make rapid progress on the issue.
If you have ever worried about how to drive new growth or how to make a change initiative successful, you will enjoy the insights developed in this course.
For a complete program schedule download the agenda.
Please Contact Us
Please contact our Learning Solutions Specialists at 212-854-3395 for a personal conversation to learn more.
Leading Strategic Growth and Change is designed for upper- to senior-level executives who seek significant growth opportunities for their organizations.
Alumni and up to four of their colleagues are eligible for a 25 percent tuition benefit for programs lasting up to seven days. More on the Alumni Tuition Benefit.
Benefits in the Current Context
"This program is more relevant than ever, because it presumes high levels of uncertainty, complexity, and velocity in every tool and technique we present. It further covers both the analytical side of coping with uncertainty (what to do) as well as the human side (how to get people to realize the challenges and respond appropriately). In this program, we insist on driving strategic decision-making from the perspective of deep insight and differentiating rather than going along with the crowd. And at Columbia, since we are in the heart of the financial markets, we are very close to the phenomenon."
–Rita Gunther McGrath, faculty director
Summary of Benefits
- Explore how to lead through change and uncertainty
- Learn to make use of an entrepreneurial mindset in an established corporation
- Understand the political and implementation challenges of growth
- Discover a proven framework for leading growth
- Gain insight into the cultural and leadership challenges of the information economy
Upon completion of this program, you will earn five days towards a Certificate in Business Excellence. Learn more.
Executive Education Faculty Member
One of the distinguishing features of the course is that rather than using standard business school cases, most of the application of the tools and concepts takes place as participants help one another find solutions to a thorny growth or change problem they are facing in their organizations. Prior to the course, each participant prepares this 'personal case' which is then used as the basis for small-group discussion and problem solving. Each case group, consisting of other participants from non-competing organizations, also creates a video which is shared with the entire class at the end of the week. By the end of the week, most participants report having made significant progress on resolving their issues with actionable ideas they can take back to work and apply immediately.
A select set of additional readings and materials are also included, and each participant receives copies of relevant books.
- Introduction to MarketBusting, a structured approach to identifying growth opportunities via five 'lenses'
- Change the customers' experience
- Reconfigure products and services
- Change your business model
- Take advantage of industry shifts
- Identify entirely new markets
- Learn to avoid the most dangerous biases that can have a negative impact on your decisions under uncertainty
- Learn to improve your intuition
- Learn the 3 leadership roles that are essential to growth
- Real options reasoning
- Creating an opportunity portfolio
- Discovery Driven Planning
- Learn to manage high assumption: knowledge ratio situations
- Learn the principles of intelligent failure
- Creating the conditions for effective organizational transformation
- Identify in advance the most likely situations in which your project will be delayed or encounter resistance; apply this idea to personal cases
- Learn simple and powerful ways to confront organizational politics and use them for positive purposes
- Learn from a 'living case' what mistakes were made and how you can avoid making the same mistakes in undertaking large-scale change
- Entrepreneurial thinking
- Optional session on the utilization of sophisticated modeling and simulation techniques in conjunction with discovery driven planning
- Disengagement — how to gracefully shut down a project or end a business
- Nominated topics, in which participants propose the topics for discussion
- Action planning for return
For a complete program schedule download the agenda.
Proficiency in English is essential. View the language requirements