- Benefits & Features
- Student Life
- Student Organizations
- International Students
- The Culture of NYC
- Career Advantages
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Connect with Admissions
- Executive MBA
- Options & Locations
- Student Life
- Career Management
- Connect with EMBA
- Why a Columbia PhD?
- Job Market
- Current Doctoral Students
- Master of Science
- Masters of Science in Accounting and Fundamental Analysis
- Master of Science in Financial Economics
- MS in Marketing Science
- Student Life
- Current Master of Science Students
- Executive Education
- Comprehensive Management
- Social Enterprise
- Programs for Organizations
- Undergraduate Concentration
"An invaluable program that provides clear insights, frameworks, and tools for effective problem solving in any area of a business or industry."
– Past Participant Sergio Arias, Sr. Consultant at Softtek
Driving Strategic Impact is organized around the core skill of structured problem-solving, which takes participants through four phases of a strategy project: defining the scope, structuring the problem, gathering and analyzing data, and developing recommendations.
These core skills are supplemented with additional sessions on communication, managing strategy projects, and influencing skills. In this way, Driving Strategic Impact offers an effective and multi-faceted approach that can be implemented as soon as participants return to work.
Our approach is built on the following building blocks:
- Strategy consulting toolkit: A set of tools, frameworks and best practices laid out in easily usable formats, such as checklists, templates, or step-by-step approaches that you take back with you for future use.
- Role-plays: Exposure to consulting scenarios that simulate typical client-consultant interactions. These role-plays allow you to test your own understanding of situations and to learn ways to prepare for these situations with clients where your credibility and impact is at stake.
- Consulting scenarios: Specific consulting situations where you will be asked for ideas on how you would approach these situations. We have especially designed these to challenge your thinking and make you see how our instinctive approaches to solving problems often lead us down wrong paths. Discussions will follow each scenario and reveal specific tools that you can use to address similar situations in real life. This will allow you to gain tangible, hands-on understanding, and key insights in an experiential manner.
- Consulting stories: True-to-life stories to effectively understand and internalize a point. Professor Hitendra Wadhwa, faculty director of the program, will share candid stories from his consulting experience to bring the learnings from the program to life. Rich insights and inspiration can be gained from these real world informal recollections of the high and low points in a consultant's journey.
- Real-life case study: Professor Wadhwa will present a sanitized case study of a real strategy consulting project he was involved with at McKinsey. You will be asked to solve this client’s problem in stages: defining the client’s problem, breaking it down into smaller pieces, sizing the market for a certain product, and developing a go-to-market strategy. At each stage, you will be able to compare your solution with other participants, and then compare with the outcome of the real project. This exercise allows participants a hands-on view of the end-to-end process of strategy problem-solving, communication, and influencing.
Professionals will gain experiential learning on how to become trusted advisors to their sponsors, clients, managers, and colleagues.
Driving Strategic Impact gives you hands-on practice and real-time feedback via in-class exercises, real-life strategy cases and a dynamic exchange between participants and the instructor.
Summary of Benefits
- Establish an understanding with sponsors and key constituencies on the need for a strategy project, and the appropriate approach and resources to be deployed
- Concretely define the scope of a strategy project to enhance the prospects of a successful outcome
- Rapidly identify core business issues and focus your problem-solving effort in the right direction
- Efficiently gather the right information to build a relevant fact base, extract information from internal and external sources, and synthesize it to drive key conclusions
- Develop recommendations that provide the highest value to the organization among feasible alternatives
- Develop a compelling storyline to organize and communicate your findings and recommendations
- Use a range of influencing tactics to win support from key stakeholders
- Develop trust-based relationships with your sponsors, clients, managers and colleagues
Upon completion of this program, you will earn three days towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits. Learn more.
Driving Strategic Impact introduces you to a powerful set of frameworks, tools and insights on how to become a trusted strategic advisor. It is organized along four core skills: structured problem-solving, strategy project management, communication and trust-building.
For a complete program schedule and curriculum, download the program agenda.
Sample Session Titles
- Problem Definition and Problem Structuring
- Data Gathering and Analysis
- Managing Strategy Projects
- Developing Recommendations
- Synthesizing Ideas & Developing a Storyline
- Building Trust-Based Relationships
PARTICIPANT PROFILE & TESTIMONIALS
Driving Strategic Impact is designed for mid- to upper-level executives who work in corporate strategy, internal consulting, business development, strategic account management and product management, who are charged with resolving strategic issues within their organization or for external clients.
Technical or functional professionals who frequently inform and guide strategic decision makers within their organizations will also find this program valuable.
Alumni and up to four of their colleagues are eligible for a 25 percent tuition benefit for programs lasting up to seven days. More on the Alumni Tuition Benefit.
Typical Participant Mix
Years of Management Experience
Hear from Past Participants:
President at Beacon Professional Management
President at Beacon Professional Management
Hear from Laurie on how she’s learned proven techniques from different industries at the Driving Strategic Impact program at Columbia Business School Executive Education and plans to apply them to her own work.
Hitendra Wadhwa, Faculty Director
Professor of Practice
Hitendra Wadhwa is Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership (IPL). He teaches Columbia's most popular MBA leadership class on Personal Leadership & Success. He also teaches MBA and Executive Education programs on Driving Strategic Impact and Leading from the Inside Out, and has received the 2015 Executive-MBA Commitment to Excellence Award, the 2012 Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence, and the 2008 Columbia Marketing Association Award for the Most Dynamic and Engaging Professor.
Prof. Wadhwa's widely acclaimed research and teaching on leadership have been covered by Fortune, Psychology Today, BBC World Service, Inc., Financial Times, and Wall Street Journal. The institute he has founded, IPL, is at the forefront of the new science of Personal Leadership, training executives in how to maximize Outer Impact through Inner Mastery. His clients include SAP, Pfizer, Ericsson, GE, Godrej Group, Microsoft, Standards & Poors and Bayer.
In the past, Hitendra was a consultant at McKinsey & Company and the CEO/founder of a Silicon Valley start-up, Paramark, which was twice recognized as a Top-100 Internet technology company by Technologic Partners/Venture Wire. He received his MBA and PhD in Management Science from the Sloan School at MIT, and his B.A. (Honors in Mathematics) from St. Stephens College, University of Delhi, where he graduated top of his class.