- Benefits & Features
- Student Life
- Student Organizations
- International Students
- The Culture of NYC
- Career Advantages
- Financial Aid
- Connect with CBS
- Executive MBA
- Options & Locations
- Student Life
- Career Management
- Connect with CBS
- Why a Columbia PhD?
- Job Market
- Master of Science
- Master of Science in Financial Economics
- Master of Science in Marketing
- Student Life
- Executive Education
- Comprehensive Management
- Social Enterprise
- Programs for Organizations
- Undergraduate Concentration
"The program offered me easy access to premium content and the convenience of learning anytime, anywhere."
– Garth Bradley, CooperVision, Inc.
Over the last few decades, top-tier strategy consulting firms have cultivated a unique set of skills that consistently help them deliver high-impact solutions to complex strategic issues. Driving Strategic Impact (Online) gives participants the opportunity to acquire this skillset to become more effective at addressing strategic issues and having greater impact within their organization and with their clients.
Driving Strategic Impact (Online) is organized around the core skill of structured problem solving that takes participants through four phases of a strategy project: defining the scope, structuring the problem, gathering and analyzing data, and developing recommendations. This core training in structured problem solving is supplemented by additional modules on communication, managing strategy projects, and influencing skills.
The online program offers a distinctive set of video-lectures, delivered with a flexible learning schedule, and self-reflection exercises that maintain engagement among participants and faculty members.
Participants will experience a 12-week, 20-session program that includes two live-streamed sessions with Professor Wadhwa plus the opportunity to connect, share, discuss, and practice with other participants
See the Curriculum tab for more details.
Driving Strategic Impact (Online) provides a number of learning benefits. Each week, participants learn at their own pace by watching video lectures, doing reflections, and interacting with other participants — all on their own schedule. They can deep-dive on, or fast-track, course content based on their individual interests. They also can form collaborative relationships with other participants online that will continue to stay active beyond the program.
The program gives you hands-on practice and real-time feedback via in-class exercises, real-life strategy cases and a dynamic exchange between participants and the instructor.
Summary of Benefits
- Establish an understanding with sponsors and key constituencies on the need for a strategy project, and the appropriate approach and resources to be deployed
- Concretely define the scope of a strategy project to enhance the prospects of a successful outcome
- Rapidly identify core business issues and focus your problem-solving effort in the right direction
- Efficiently gather the right information to build a relevant fact base, extract information from internal and external sources, and synthesize it to drive key conclusions
- Develop recommendations that provide the highest value to the organization among feasible alternatives
- Develop a compelling storyline to organize and communicate your findings and recommendations
- Use a range of influencing tactics to win support from key stakeholders
- Develop trust-based relationships with your sponsors, clients, managers and colleagues
Upon completion of this program, you will earn one day towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits. Learn more.
Driving Strategic Impact (Online) introduces you to a powerful set of frameworks, tools and insights on how to become a trusted strategic advisor. It is organized along four core skills: structured problem solving, strategy project management, communication and trust building.
You will receive:
- A 12-week, 20-session program with self-paced, high-quality video lectures and interactive exercises
- Two live-streamed sessions with Professor Hitendra Wadhwa with live chat/Q&A
- On-the-go access to program content on your mobile device
- Opportunity to connect and collaborate with a global community of executives
- Access to the Driving Strategic Impact toolkit: frameworks, templates, tools and more
- Certificate from Columbia Business School Executive Education and the Institute for Personal Leadership
For a complete program schedule and curriculum, including a list of the customizable sessions, download the program curriculum and structure.
You will also have the opportunity to receive 1:1 coaching from an Institute for Personal Leadership coach to guide you on how to use Driving Strategic Impact principles and tools to address your specific challenges and goals in becoming a trusted strategic advisor. This service is available for an additional fee.
PARTICIPANT PROFILE & TESTIMONIALS
Driving Strategic Impact (Online) is designed for mid- to upper-level executives who work in corporate strategy, internal consulting, business development, strategic account management and product management, who are charged with resolving strategic issues within their organization or for external clients.
Technical or functional professionals who frequently inform and guide strategic decision makers within their organizations will also find this program valuable.
It is also a convenient option for teams within an organization to learn together. We can train your internal facilitators in conducting a blended learning program that integrates online, high-quality video lectures with in-person team discussions, and exercises.
Alumni and up to four of their colleagues are eligible for a 25 percent tuition benefit for programs lasting up to seven days. More on the Alumni Tuition Benefit.
Hitendra Wadhwa, Faculty Director
Professor of Practice
Hitendra Wadhwa is Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership (IPL). He teaches Columbia's most popular MBA leadership class on Personal Leadership & Success. He also teaches MBA and Executive Education programs on Driving Strategic Impact and Leading from the Inside Out, and has received the 2015 Executive-MBA Commitment to Excellence Award, the 2012 Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence, and the 2008 Columbia Marketing Association Award for the Most Dynamic and Engaging Professor.
Prof. Wadhwa's widely acclaimed research and teaching on leadership have been covered by Fortune, Psychology Today, BBC World Service, Inc., Financial Times, and Wall Street Journal. The institute he has founded, IPL, is at the forefront of the new science of Personal Leadership, training executives in how to maximize Outer Impact through Inner Mastery. His clients include SAP, Pfizer, Ericsson, GE, Godrej Group, Microsoft, Standards & Poors and Bayer.
In the past, Hitendra was a consultant at McKinsey & Company and the CEO/founder of a Silicon Valley start-up, Paramark, which was twice recognized as a Top-100 Internet technology company by Technologic Partners/Venture Wire. He received his MBA and PhD in Management Science from the Sloan School at MIT, and his B.A. (Honors in Mathematics) from St. Stephens College, University of Delhi, where he graduated top of his class.