- Benefits & Features
- Student Life
- Student Organizations
- International Students
- The Culture of NYC
- Career Advantages
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Connect with Admissions
- Executive MBA
- Options & Locations
- Student Life
- Career Management
- Connect with EMBA
- Why a Columbia PhD?
- Job Market
- Current Doctoral Students
- Master of Science
- Masters of Science in Accounting and Fundamental Analysis
- Master of Science in Financial Economics
- Master of Science in Marketing
- Student Life
- Current Master of Science Students
- Executive Education
- Comprehensive Management
- Social Enterprise
- Programs for Organizations
- Undergraduate Concentration
"Driving Strategic Impact (Online) is an excellent program! It exceeded my expectations in two areas: the content delivery by Professor Wadhwa – he is amazing – and the organization of the material online. You will make new professional friends in this program."
– Program Participant Charles Butler, VP Tech Ops Advertising at Aol Inc.
Tackle strategic problems in a structured, fact-based manner that leads to high-impact recommendations.
Over the last few decades, top-tier strategy consulting firms have cultivated a unique set of skills that consistently help them deliver high-impact solutions to complex strategic issues. Driving Strategic Impact trains participants in how to drive strategic impact for their organizations and their clients, through a combination of tools, frameworks, role-plays and case studies. It is organized along the four phases of strategic problem solving: (i) Developing a Clear Understanding of Your Problem, (ii) Creating a Strategy Development Roadmap, (iii) Analyzing Data to Draw Strategic Conclusions, and (iv) Developing High-Impact Recommendations.
This program is based on the popular Driving Strategic Impact class taught by Prof. Hitendra Wadhwa at Columbia Business School, offered additionally as a 3-day Executive Education program at the Columbia University campus in New York City. See here for more details.
Join us for Driving Strategic Impact if you want to improve your effectiveness in solving strategy problems and in becoming a trusted advisor for colleagues and clients
In Driving Strategic Impact you will learn how to:
- Get client / organizational support for strategic initiatives
- Concretely define the scope of a strategy project
- Develop a well-structured strategic problem-solving roadmap
- Align with key stakeholders
- Rapidly move to the core issues to focus your problem-solving effort
- Efficiently gather the right information to build a relevant fact base
- Extract information from internal and external sources
- Synthesize data to drive key conclusions
- Develop high-impact recommendations
- Put your new learnings into practice on real-life strategy cases
- Manage strategy projects for maximum impact
Upon completion of this program, you will earn one day towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits. Learn more.
This Columbia-IPL Executive Program takes you on a 12-week journey to acquiring mastery over a personal leadership competency.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Time Required: 3 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- Opportunity to interact with a global community of executive participants
- The Institute for Personal Leadership's proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- The Institute for Personal Leadership's proprietary Virtual Mentor platform for practice and feedback (for select programs)
- Certificate of Completion (Executive Program) from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education
- One day of credit toward a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School. Learn more
- Four live online review sessions led by IPL faculty
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and framework
The Institute for Personal Leadership offers a scientific approach to personal leadership development developed by Prof. Wadhwa at Columbia Business School. It consists of three steps:
Step 1. POTENTIAL: Compelling evidence on how much potential there is in all of us to grow, lead and achieve greater success in life and leadership.
Step 2. PRINCIPLES: A codified set of principles to help unlock your full potential through an inside-out path where inner mastery serves as a foundation for outer impact.
Step 3. PRACTICE: Tools and other resources for everyday support to help you translate these principles into action and make them a daily habit.
PARTICIPANT PROFILE & TESTIMONIALS
The Driving Strategic Impact program is designed for executives of all levels who are looking to improve your effectiveness in solving strategy problems and in becoming a trusted advisor for colleagues and clients.
Alumni and up to four of their colleagues are eligible for a 25 percent tuition benefit for programs lasting up to seven days. More on the Alumni Tuition Benefit.
What recent participants are saying about the program:
"I consider myself an experienced business development professional, having done several large scale projects in my tenure with Hewlett Packard (HP). But I can’t tell you how grateful I am to have joined Driving Strategic Impact (Online). The teaching is masterful and the materials covered have a systematic way of approaching problems. It puts a smile on my face everyday to have been inspired by the course material!"
– Chinshu Huang, Principal Consultant, Green Wei International
"This course exceeded my expectations and I look forward to joining others. It is helping me work through laying out our long term plans within the company as well as becoming better partners with our customers."
– Gregory Collins, Senior Account Manager, ABB
"Driving Strategic Impact (Online) offered me easy access to premium content and the convenience of learning anytime, anywhere. It taught me valuable strategies and tools for daily work, and most importantly, working smart not just hard."
– Garth Bradley, Program Manager at CooperVision, Inc.
"Although I’ve had much contact with high-impact consultants, mainly from McKinsey, Driving Strategic Impact (Online) gave me a different view and tools in order to achieve or even surpass many high-impact consultants."
– Marcio Mariano Junior, Director at FORSEE
"This is an excellent course. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and benefitted from it. Superb content and very well thought out organization of the course! The effort and energy that has gone into this is very visible, and I really appreciate it."
– Gireendra Kasmalkar, Chief Executive Officer, SQS India Infosystems
"This course has improved the way I approach business challenges. It has taught me to work smarter and not just harder, and to create incredible impact. It is the best anyone can do for themselves as the skills from this course will improve their own effectiveness in their work lives."
– Sandise Sibanda, Group Marketing Services Manager, Sun International
"You will come away with a whole new appreciation for learning remotely – vivid, colorful, insightful and information-packed presentations that have somehow retained a very personal touch despite being delivered online. A must for anyone aspiring to be a consultant or getting better at solving complex problems!"
– Raja R Iyengar, President, Ebiz Labs
"I really enjoyed Prof. Wadhwa’s style and presentation. He made the course very interesting and made it feel as though I was right there. The real-world scenarios he offered really helped the content hit home. The issue trees, the pyramid principle and other such methods that he taught will help me refine my presentations and the way I relate to clients."
– Ernie Bray, CEO and Founder, AutoClaims Direct Inc.
Hitendra Wadhwa, Faculty Director
Professor of Practice
Hitendra Wadhwa is Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership (IPL). He teaches Columbia's most popular MBA leadership class on Personal Leadership & Success. He also teaches MBA and Executive Education programs on Driving Strategic Impact and Leading from the Inside Out, and has received the 2015 Executive-MBA Commitment to Excellence Award, the 2012 Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence, and the 2008 Columbia Marketing Association Award for the Most Dynamic and Engaging Professor.
Prof. Wadhwa's widely acclaimed research and teaching on leadership have been covered by Fortune, Psychology Today, BBC World Service, Inc., Financial Times, and Wall Street Journal. The institute he has founded, IPL, is at the forefront of the new science of Personal Leadership, training executives in how to maximize Outer Impact through Inner Mastery. His clients include SAP, Pfizer, Ericsson, GE, Godrej Group, Microsoft, Standards & Poors and Bayer.
In the past, Hitendra was a consultant at McKinsey & Company and the CEO/founder of a Silicon Valley start-up, Paramark, which was twice recognized as a Top-100 Internet technology company by Technologic Partners/Venture Wire. He received his MBA and PhD in Management Science from the Sloan School at MIT, and his B.A. (Honors in Mathematics) from St. Stephens College, University of Delhi, where he graduated top of his class.