You are here
Driving Strategic Impact (Online)
Upcoming SessionsMay 12 - August 4, 2015
September 30 - December 23, 2015
Over the last few decades, top-tier strategy consulting firms have cultivated a unique set of skills that consistently help them deliver high-impact solutions to complex strategic issues. Driving Strategic Impact (Online) gives participants the opportunity to acquire this skillset to become more effective at addressing strategic issues and having greater impact within their organization and with their clients.
Driving Strategic Impact (Online) is organized around the core skill of structured problem solving that takes participants through four phases of a strategy project: defining the scope, structuring the problem, gathering and analyzing data, and developing recommendations. This core training in structured problem solving is supplemented by additional modules on communication, managing strategy projects, and influencing skills.
The online program offers a distinctive set of video-lectures, delivered with a flexible learning schedule, and self-reflection exercises that maintain engagement among participants and faculty members.
Participants will experience a 12-week, 20-session program that includes two live-streamed sessions with Professor Wadhwa plus the opportunity to customize your own learning journey and connect, share, discuss, and practice with other participants
See the Curriculum tab for more details.
Driving Strategic Impact (Online) provides a number of learning benefits. Each week, participants learn at their own pace by watching video lectures, doing reflections, and interacting with other participants — all on their own schedule. They can deep-dive on, or fast-track, course content based on their individual interests. They also can form collaborative relationships with other participants online that will continue to stay active beyond the program.
The program gives you hands-on practice and real-time feedback via in-class exercises, real-life strategy cases and a dynamic exchange between participants and the instructor.
Summary of Benefits
- Establish an understanding with sponsors and key constituencies on the need for a strategy project, and the appropriate approach and resources to be deployed
- Concretely define the scope of a strategy project to enhance the prospects of a successful outcome
- Rapidly identify core business issues and focus your problem-solving effort in the right direction
- Efficiently gather the right information to build a relevant fact base, extract information from internal and external sources, and synthesize it to drive key conclusions
- Develop recommendations that provide the highest value to the organization among feasible alternatives
- Develop a compelling storyline to organize and communicate your findings and recommendations
- Use a range of influencing tactics to win support from key stakeholders
- Develop trust-based relationships with your sponsors, clients, managers and colleagues
Upon completion of this program, you will earn one day towards a Certificate in Business Excellence. Learn more. Participants also receive a Certificate of Completion from Columbia Business School Executive Education.
Driving Strategic Impact (Online) introduces you to a powerful set of frameworks, tools and insights on how to become a trusted strategic advisor. It is organized along four core skills: structured problem solving, strategy project management, communication and trust building.
You will receive:
- A 12-week, 20-session program with self-paced, high-quality video lectures and interactive exercises:
- 13-session Driving Strategic Impact Foundations program
- Opportunity to customize your own 7-session Advanced Driving Strategic Impact experience by selecting from our extensive library of 20+ online sessions
- Two live-streamed sessions with Professor Hitendra Wadhwa with live chat/Q&A
- On-the-go access to program content on your mobile device
- Extended access to program content for 6 months
- Opportunity to connect and collaborate with a global community of executives
- Access to the Driving Strategic Impact toolkit: frameworks, templates, tools and more
- Certificate from Columbia Business School Executive Education and the Institute for Personal Leadership
Customize Your Learning Journey
Columbia Business School Executive Education, in collaboration with the Institute for Personal Leadership, has developed an extensive library of online content on Driving Strategic Impact. These sessions feature Prof. Wadhwa as lead faculty along with experts he brings in on various topics.
Driving Strategic Impact (Online) gives you a unique opportunity to customize your learning journey based on your specific professional development objectives.
Over the first 7 weeks of the program, you will participate in a collective journey with other participants through the foundations of Driving Strategic Impact.
In weeks 8-12, you will take another 7 classes – personally selected by you from our collection of 20+ advanced DSI sessions – to strengthen your Driving Strategic Impact skills in areas of interest to you.
And while we encourage you to keep to our 12-week schedule for the program, the 6-month extended access to our program content allows you to learn at your own pace.
For a complete program schedule and curriculum, including a list of the customizable sessions, download the program curriculum and structure.
You will also have the opportunity to receive 1:1 coaching from an Institute for Personal Leadership coach to guide you on how to use Driving Strategic Impact principles and tools to address your specific challenges and goals in becoming a trusted strategic advisor. This service is available for an additional fee.
Coaching sessions can also be used to do role-play practice, where you get experiential learning and expert feedback on how to build trust-based relationships, get positive outcomes from difficult conversations, draw value from internal and external experts, and influence key stakeholders.
Audience & Testimonials
Driving Strategic Impact (Online) is designed for mid- to upper-level executives who work in corporate strategy, internal consulting, business development, strategic account management and product management, who are charged with resolving strategic issues within their organization or for external clients.
Technical or functional professionals who frequently inform and guide strategic decision makers within their organizations will also find this program valuable.
It is also a convenient option for teams within an organization to learn together. We can train your internal facilitators in conducting a blended learning program that integrates online, high-quality video lectures with in-person team discussions, and exercises.
Alumni and up to four of their colleagues are eligible for a 25 percent tuition benefit for programs lasting up to seven days. More on the Alumni Tuition Benefit.
Hitendra Wadhwa, Faculty Director
Professor of Practice
Hitendra Wadhwa is Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and the founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership. He teaches MBA courses and such Executive Education programs as Personal Leadership and Success, and Driving Strategic. In 2012, he received the Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence. He is regularly involved with many Fortune 500 corporations in strategy consulting and leadership development. Recent clients include American Express, Pfizer, Godrej Group, Microsoft, Standards & Poors and Lend Lease. His widely acclaimed research and teaching on leadership have been covered by Fortune, Psychology Today, BBC World Service, Financial Times, and the Wall Street Journal. In addition, Wadhwa has been at the forefront of bringing executive education online with the launch of his two online programs on Personal Leadership and Driving Strategic Impact.
Wadhwa was a consultant at McKinsey & Company and the CEO/founder of a Silicon Valley start-up, Paramark, which was twice recognized as a Top-100 Internet technology company by Technologic Partners/Venture Wire. He received his MBA and PhD in management science from the Sloan School at MIT, and his B.A. (Honors in mathematics) from St. Stephens College, University of Delhi, where he graduated top of his class.
Other Online Programs:
- Personal Leadership (Online)
Tools for tangible personal improvements and greater leadership skills through a distinctive set of video-lectures, delivered with a flexible learning schedule and self-reflection exercises.
- New Program Media Platforms and Content (Online): Navigating Today’s Media Landscape
Participants will gain a comprehensive understanding of today’s media platforms through a series of sequential video-lectures, live sessions, and faculty interaction delivered in an online classroom.
- New Program Strategic Intuition (Online): From Mind to Method to Action
In this 10-week online program, participants learn what strategic intuition is, how it works, and how to apply it.
Other Strategy Programs:
- Creating and Executing Breakthrough Strategy
Introduces the Strategic Learning process – a unique way of integrating strategic analysis, focus, alignment and execution – and gives practical guidelines for implementing new strategic directions.
- New Program Digital Business Strategy: Leading the Next-Generation Enterprise
Digital Business Strategy focuses on big data analytics, experiment-driven innovation, and disruptive business models to address your organization’s future in the digital age.
- Driving Strategic Impact: Mastering Strategy Consulting Skills
Learn tools used by top-tier consulting firms to become more effective at analyzing and resolving strategic problems for your organization and clients.
- Implementing Innovation
Learn the tools to incorporate innovation into your organization's DNA, allowing you to support continuous innovation based on your organization's specific situation and challenges.
- New Program Leading Business Change Through Analytics
Leading Business Change Through Analytics enables senior managers to drive business decisions more efficiently with data.
- Leading Strategic Growth and Change
Focuses on finding opportunities, launching new ventures, and leading necessary organizational changes to revitalize an organization.
- Strategic Intuition
Based on William Duggan's books, this program offers breakthrough ideas, methods, and tools for generating creative ideas that are also strategic.