You are here
Companies today are hungry for innovation. But leadership wants more than just "thinking outside the box." What's needed is cost-effective innovative action and implementation, which can then be sustained and repeated.
Reinventing Innovation demonstrates how innovation can be integrated into an organization in many ways, but always strategically and with an eye on cost efficiency.
The program outlines six distinct organizational structures and the different types of innovations they produce. When you participate in the program, you will learn how to customize these configurations to your specific organizational and competitive environments, and you'll see what skills, traits and abilities are required to do so successfully.
The program also is highly customized. You will work with faculty members and doctoral students before, during, and after the program on your specific objectives. During this process, you'll gain a greater understanding of the balance between innovation and cost efficiency and have an actionable plan.
Reinventing Innovation tackles the topic on a personalized level. You will work on a specific innovative challenge and engage in pre-work before the program begins. During the program, you'll work in small groups, and when the program concludes, you'll go back to your organization with an action plan. After the program, you will receive continued support from Columbia Business School—checking in on your progress related to your company's innovative challenge.
- Gain a new understanding of innovation that will help you move your company into an innovation-centric mindset
- Learn how to perform an innovation audit within your organization
- Practice using the audit to identify ways to improve the ability to innovate
- Create a customized individual and organizational plan to launch, intensify, or redirect innovation in your organization or unit
- Draw support and ideas from a community of Reinventing Innovation program participants
Upon completion of this program, you will earn four days towards your Certificate in Business Excellence. Learn more.
Reinventing Innovation will help participants create greater efficiency and quality, achieve faster reorientation, provide better new business development, ensure faster market penetration, allow for greater profitability, and lay the foundation for more robust growth. Using Eric Abrahamson’s six-dimension innovation model, each participant will establish a disciplined, repeatable, and scalable innovation process.
Participants will also learn a step-by-step method to customize these six dimensions for their organizations and its sub-units. By doing so, executives will gain increased awareness of the distinct capabilities they should develop during the program in order to manage and lead each type of configuration successfully.
The work begins not long after applications are accepted. Program staff will contact participants to better understand their objectives regarding innovation challenges at their organizations. Faculty members and doctoral students will interview participants to learn more about the specific challenges. Doctoral students also will conduct preliminary research on the topics.
During the program, coursework, presentations, and a daily workshop will ensure that participants are on-track to address their specific challenges. Participants will be contacted four months after the program ends to review and redirect their work. They will also be invited to participant in the reinventing innovation community.
Sample Session Titles:
Reinventing Innovation: Selecting the Right Techniques to Innovate at the Specific Stage in Your Firm’s or Units' Life-Cycle.
• Recognizing your personal strengths and challenges in leading innovation at each life-cycle stage
• Capitalizing on pre-program preparations for focusing innovation at your firm
• Techniques for the inventing innovations stage – tools for intuition, creativity, and improvisation
Strategies for Innovating at the Commercialization and Growth Stages: Real Option Tools for Selecting which Innovations to Commercialize and Grow
• Techniques for innovating at the optimization stage – cost-efficient tools to innovate in product, process, and service design
• Capitalizing on pre-program preparation for diagnosing where to make and let innovation happen at your firm
• Exemplary innovative firms at each life cycle stage – creating self-reinforcing configurations of organizational culture, structure, processes, people, and social networks
• Listening to and conversing with some jazz musicians – what they can teach us about improvisation, creativity, and innovation
Disciplined Innovation: How Precisely is One Large Firm Maximizing Creativity and Efficiency at the Optimization Stage
• The innovation mindset – exiting old markets and inventing new ones at the invention to optimization stage transition
• Capitalizing on pre-program preparations to customize innovation techniques for your firm
• Organizational ecosystems – how networks of organizations can co-create innovations at each life-cycle stage
• Comedy Club – the serious impact of fun on innovation
How the Imitation of Innovations Destroys Competitive Advantage: Stage-Based Strategies for Inimitable Innovating.
• Practical Lessons from Entrepreneurship
• Capitalizing on pre-program preparations to implement techniques to make and let innovation happen at your firm
• Presentations of practicum work accomplished during the program
• Planning post-program follow up at each participants’ firm
Upper- to senior-level management in organizations that have been unable to move quickly and innovate. Those in fast-moving, innovation-driven industries such as technology, healthcare, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, consumer products or telecommunications industries would especially benefit from the curriculum.