- Benefits & Features
- Student Life
- Student Organizations
- International Students
- The Culture of NYC
- Career Advantages
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Connect with Admissions
- Executive MBA
- Options & Locations
- Student Life
- Career Management
- Connect with EMBA
- Why a Columbia PhD?
- Job Market
- Current Doctoral Students
- Master of Science
- Masters of Science in Accounting and Fundamental Analysis
- Master of Science in Financial Economics
- MS in Marketing Science
- Student Life
- Current Master of Science Students
- Executive Education
- Comprehensive Management
- Social Enterprise
- Programs for Organizations
- Undergraduate Concentration
"The first principle of value that we need to rediscover is this: that all reality hinges on moral foundations. In other words, that this is a moral universe, and that there are moral laws of the universe just as abiding as the physical laws."
– Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
When we step into new roles in life and leadership, we typically have a clear view of what we need to accomplish – but rarely of how we should get there. What core principles should our path in life and leadership be illuminated by? What attitudes, beliefs and mindsets are critical to success? What behaviors will put us on the path to maximizing our potential?
Building Your Leadership Foundation invites you to examine, and, in many cases, rescript, your core beliefs about work, leadership, and life. You will learn how there are in fact certain universal principles that drive success in life and leadership, and tools to put these principles into practice. You will gain powerful, and often surprising, insights on how to maximize your impact based on the paths that great leaders have taken. You will gain an understanding of the role of mindsets in driving behavior and performance, and learn how to cultivate a winner’s mindset. And finally, you will learn how to cultivate a powerful force – love – as a guiding force in life and leadership.
The principles, beliefs and tools you will acquire in Building Your Leadership Foundation will help you approach both challenges and opportunities in life and leadership with greater clarity, wisdom, and love. And, at the deepest level, you will start to discover that to achieve your full potential in life and leadership, you have to see them as two sides of the same coin.
What You Will Learn
Part I: Success Principles for Life and Leadership
Apply transformational principles to maximize success in life and leadership
- 5 universal leadership principles
- How to succeed by not trying – the principle of non-attachment
- The power of paradox – unleashing your highest potential by embracing opposing ideas
- Simplicity – the secret to success in a complex world
- Practical tools to put these principles into action
- Analyses and stories that show how these principles have played a central role in the success of great leaders throughout history
Part II: Cultivating a Winner's Mindset
Identify and vanquish self-defeating beliefs and mindsets to maximize your effectiveness
- How your beliefs and mindsets affect your behavior and performance
- Practical methods for identifying those beliefs that are limiting you today – and how you can re-script them
- Four mindsets that separate winners from others
- Practical techniques drawn from psychotherapy to help yourself, your team and organization shift into a winner’s mindset
- Insights and inspiration from how the winner’s mindset has been practiced by great leaders, teams and organizations
Part III: Leading from the Heart
Cultivate the inner virtue that will help you multiply your impact and build a loyal following
- A precise definition of love, as it applies to life and work
- Four dimensions of love – and how the mainstream view of love contrasts with the Personal Leadership view along these four dimensions
- How great leaders have manifested love – in the form of compassion, empathy, kindness, selflessness and forgiveness – in the pursuit of their purpose
- Costs and benefits of love in life and leadership – and how to maximize its impact.
- Practical techniques to nurture and practice love in life and leadership.
- Costs and benefits of forgiveness – and the winner’s path to forgiveness that is validated by science and exemplified by great leaders
- Practical techniques for pursuing the winner’s path to forgiveness
Upon completion of this program, you will earn one day towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits. Learn more.
This Columbia-IPL Executive Program takes you on a 12-week journey to acquiring mastery over a personal leadership competency.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Time Required: 3 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- Opportunity to interact with a global community of executive participants
- The Institute for Personal Leadership's proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- The Institute for Personal Leadership's proprietary Virtual Mentor platform for practice and feedback (for select programs)
- Certificate of Completion (Executive Program) from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education
- One day of credit toward a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School. Learn more
- Four live online review sessions led by IPL faculty
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and framework
The Institute for Personal Leadership offers a scientific approach to personal leadership development developed by Prof. Wadhwa at Columbia Business School. It consists of three steps:
Step 1. POTENTIAL: Compelling evidence on how much potential there is in all of us to grow, lead and achieve greater success in life and leadership.
Step 2. PRINCIPLES: A codified set of principles to help unlock your full potential through an inside-out path where inner mastery serves as a foundation for outer impact.
Step 3. PRACTICE: Tools and other resources for everyday support to help you translate these principles into action and make them a daily habit.
PARTICIPANT PROFILE & TESTIMONIALS
The Building a Leadership Foundation program is designed for executives of all levels who are looking to approach the challenges of life and leadership with greater clarity, wisdom, and love.
Alumni and up to four of their colleagues are eligible for a 25 percent tuition benefit for programs lasting up to seven days. More on the Alumni Tuition Benefit.
What recent participants are saying about the program:
"The series delivers the profound insight that inner mastery is both a powerful multiplier of an individual's core strengths, intellect and talent as well as a jumping off point for personal growth and organizational impact. These classes are a game changer!"
– Catherine Gueli, VP, Strategy, Management Processes and Communications, Xerox Corporation
"This class has taught me how to take control of my behaviors and change them for the better. I also learned about how powerfully some of our great leaders used love in their everyday lives."
– George A. Johnson, Assistant County Executive Officer, Riverside County, California
"Building a Leadership Foundation is very, very inspiring. It offered me a surprising approach to inner development in such a deep way that I did not believe could be possible in the corporate world. I have grown and feel deeply thankful for every single step of the program. The dynamics, the videos, the way the program was set was very close to perfect. The content was enlightening!"
– Carolina Andraus Lane, General Manager, KKW Empreendimentos Imobiliiarios Ltd
Hitendra Wadhwa, Faculty Director
Professor of Practice
Hitendra Wadhwa is Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership (IPL). He teaches Columbia's most popular MBA leadership class on Personal Leadership & Success. He also teaches MBA and Executive Education programs on Driving Strategic Impact and Leading from the Inside Out, and has received the 2015 Executive-MBA Commitment to Excellence Award, the 2012 Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence, and the 2008 Columbia Marketing Association Award for the Most Dynamic and Engaging Professor.
Prof. Wadhwa's widely acclaimed research and teaching on leadership have been covered by Fortune, Psychology Today, BBC World Service, Inc., Financial Times, and Wall Street Journal. The institute he has founded, IPL, is at the forefront of the new science of Personal Leadership, training executives in how to maximize Outer Impact through Inner Mastery. His clients include SAP, Pfizer, Ericsson, GE, Godrej Group, Microsoft, Standards & Poors and Bayer.
In the past, Hitendra was a consultant at McKinsey & Company and the CEO/founder of a Silicon Valley start-up, Paramark, which was twice recognized as a Top-100 Internet technology company by Technologic Partners/Venture Wire. He received his MBA and PhD in Management Science from the Sloan School at MIT, and his B.A. (Honors in Mathematics) from St. Stephens College, University of Delhi, where he graduated top of his class.