- Benefits & Features
- Student Life
- Student Organizations
- International Students
- The Culture of NYC
- Career Advantages
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Connect with Admissions
- Executive MBA
- Options & Locations
- Student Life
- Career Management
- Connect with EMBA
- Why a Columbia PhD?
- Job Market
- Current Doctoral Students
- Master of Science
- Masters of Science in Accounting and Fundamental Analysis
- Master of Science in Financial Economics
- MS in Marketing Science
- Student Life
- Current Master of Science Students
- Executive Education
- Comprehensive Management
- Social Enterprise
- Programs for Organizations
- Undergraduate Concentration
"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problem."
The only constant in today’s volatile, uncertain, and complex world is change. Leaders have to continually evolve, grow, and adjust to their changing environment, and get their people to do the same. Driving Performance and Change shows you how to maximize your impact as a leader during times of change.
You will learn practical ways to deliver effective feedback and to coach your people in order to help them cultivate self-awareness, close performance gaps, develop new capabilities, challenge their own mindsets, and approach their full potential. You will learn how to practice resilience so you can neutralize barriers, rebound from setbacks, adapt to new conditions, and inspire change. And you will learn how to lead people on a change journey by getting them to successfully implement critical changes in behavior.
We often see our selves and others as fixed, in terms of our personality, character, and professional skills. This program will give you a powerful new understanding of how much untapped potential there is for you and your people to change. And you will gain practical techniques to help you and your people adapt and flourish in a constantly changing world.
Driving Performance and Change provides you with a scientific and practical pathway to growing your people's capabilities and performance, and growing your own self as well.
What You Will Learn
Part I: Leading Change
Maximize your personal impact at times of change
- Mindsets and behaviors that restrict people from changing their behavior
- 5 components of the Change Formula – for changing yourself or others.
- Building a behavior change plan
- Best practices drawn from psychology and “change champions” – great leaders and successful organizations – on how to change mindsets and behavior
- Real-world case study involving the turnaround of an organization at a critical moment in a great city’s history
- Analysis of a great leader’s change speech (recorded on video)
Part II: Developing People from the Inside-Out
Help your people close performance gaps and build new skills
- Mindsets that may be limiting you from developing your people
- 5 principles for giving effective feedback
- When to offer feedback; the possibilities and perils of real-time feedback
- How to create a feedback-friendly culture
- Template for planning and executing a successful feedback dialog
- 6 coaching principles
- Techniques to maximize your coaching results
- Template to plan and execute a successful coaching dialog
Part III: Resilient Leadership
Learn, adapt and thrive in the midst of setbacks and challenges
- 5 principles of resilient leadership and tools to put these principles into practice
- How people typically respond to adversity
- The winner’s response to adversity – and a practical toolkit for getting there
- How to anticipate and respond to risks and uncertainty
- How to translate failure into opportunity
- How to make resilience a daily habit
- Stories and insights of how great leaders have practiced resilience
Upon completion of this program, you will earn one day towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits. Learn more.
This Columbia-IPL Executive Program takes you on a 12-week journey to acquiring mastery over a personal leadership competency.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Time Required: 3 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- Opportunity to interact with a global community of executive participants
- The Institute for Personal Leadership's proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- The Institute for Personal Leadership's proprietary Virtual Mentor platform for practice and feedback (for select programs)
- Certificate of Completion (Executive Program) from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education
- One day of credit toward a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School. Learn more
- Four live online review sessions led by IPL faculty
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and framework
The Institute for Personal Leadership offers a scientific approach to personal leadership development developed by Prof. Wadhwa at Columbia Business School. It consists of three steps:
Step 1. POTENTIAL: Compelling evidence on how much potential there is in all of us to grow, lead and achieve greater success in life and leadership.
Step 2. PRINCIPLES: A codified set of principles to help unlock your full potential through an inside-out path where inner mastery serves as a foundation for outer impact.
Step 3. PRACTICE: Tools and other resources for everyday support to help you translate these principles into action and make them a daily habit.
PARTICIPANT PROFILE & TESTIMONIALS
The Driving Performance and Change program is designed for executives of all levels who are looking to grow their people's capabilities and character, and grow their own self as well.
Alumni and up to four of their colleagues are eligible for a 25 percent tuition benefit for programs lasting up to seven days. More on the Alumni Tuition Benefit.
What recent participants are saying about the program:
"I have benefited significantly from the training this program has given me on how to coach. I have recently applied these coaching principles to an individual on my team, and I have noticed a positive change in behavior as a result of my coaching. I have found that she has far more determination to do well than I initially realized. She has been more centered and engaged once I have started coaching her, and the quality of her output has improved substantially."
– Diana Fox, Senior Associate, Leading Executive Search Firm
"Prof. Wadhwa’s teaching on how to inspire, influence, coach, and change others were some of the most impactful classes I have ever taken. They gave me a set of tools that I could use immediately, both at a professional and personal level. I have found the practical application of these classes to be amazingly long-lasting, and have achieved concrete results in shaping the behavior of others."
– Nina Bratfalean, Marketing Manager, BMW Group, Romania
"I really enjoyed the concepts and science about growth and the various techniques of change leadership that were taught in this program. For me, the discussion on techniques, deliberate practice, and impact of your environment gave entirely new insights that were at the same time very practical."
– Laura Miller, IM Program Manager, GE Power
"I got valuable learnings from this program, e.g. that every change is possible if you have the right strategy and tools for it, and that taking small steps can lead to a big change. The stories about great leaders in the modules made me feel confident that this is the right way to go. I also really liked the fact that I could watch the videos and work through the modules at my own pace without any stress, in a safe environment. It was very helpful to read opinions of other program members about different topics, and it was surprising and comforting to see how many people think the same way I do."
– Gertrud Wittner, SC Finance Manager, ES EMEA
"Prof. Wadhwa's down-to-earth behavior and simplicity really resonated with me. The materials were thoughtfully selected, focused, and relevant.The various techniques and tips that were shared in the program were explained in a simple manner, which was easy to follow and very impactful. I'm excited to put the learnings into practice immediately. This class was an investment in which time and money were well spent, and I highly recommend this class for anyone interested in honing their feedback, coaching and leadership skills."
– Sandanakrishnan Chandravernan, Project Manager, GE Healthcare
Hitendra Wadhwa, Faculty Director
Professor of Practice
Hitendra Wadhwa is Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership (IPL). He teaches Columbia's most popular MBA leadership class on Personal Leadership & Success. He also teaches MBA and Executive Education programs on Driving Strategic Impact and Leading from the Inside Out, and has received the 2015 Executive-MBA Commitment to Excellence Award, the 2012 Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence, and the 2008 Columbia Marketing Association Award for the Most Dynamic and Engaging Professor.
Prof. Wadhwa's widely acclaimed research and teaching on leadership have been covered by Fortune, Psychology Today, BBC World Service, Inc., Financial Times, and Wall Street Journal. The institute he has founded, IPL, is at the forefront of the new science of Personal Leadership, training executives in how to maximize Outer Impact through Inner Mastery. His clients include SAP, Pfizer, Ericsson, GE, Godrej Group, Microsoft, Standards & Poors and Bayer.
In the past, Hitendra was a consultant at McKinsey & Company and the CEO/founder of a Silicon Valley start-up, Paramark, which was twice recognized as a Top-100 Internet technology company by Technologic Partners/Venture Wire. He received his MBA and PhD in Management Science from the Sloan School at MIT, and his B.A. (Honors in Mathematics) from St. Stephens College, University of Delhi, where he graduated top of his class.