- Benefits & Features
- Student Life
- Student Organizations
- International Students
- The Culture of NYC
- Career Advantages
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Connect with Admissions
- Executive MBA
- Options & Locations
- Student Life
- Career Management
- Connect with EMBA
- Why a Columbia PhD?
- Job Market
- Current Doctoral Students
- Master of Science
- Masters of Science in Accounting and Fundamental Analysis
- Master of Science in Financial Economics
- MS in Marketing Science
- Student Life
- Current Master of Science Students
- Executive Education
- Comprehensive Management
- Social Enterprise
- Programs for Organizations
- Undergraduate Concentration
"To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart."
– Eleanor Roosevelt
To have a meaningful impact in life and leadership, it isn’t enough to simply have the right idea. We need to overcome other people’s resistance, accommodate others’ interests without compromising our own, forge a collaborative path, resolve conflict, and get key stakeholders aligned along a winning path. Winning People’s Support provides a powerful set of insights and tools to help you navigate the interpersonal and organizational challenges that inevitably arise on the road to success in life and leadership.
You will acquire a set of concrete principles and techniques for how to turn conflict into collaboration, disagree constructively, say “no”, and respond gracefully to criticism. You will learn how to influence others strategically – not simply to meet expedient, short-term needs but to drive sustained impact over the course of your career. You will learn what it takes to get people to trust you, and acquire a practical toolkit to build trust-based relationships.
Winning People’s Support will help you appreciate how your greatest asset as a leader is your personal brand, and will teach you how to build your brand from the inside-out. You will walk away with the core people skills you need to maximize your impact in life and leadership.
What You Will Learn
Part I: Mastering Difficult Conversations
Translate moments of conflict into win-win outcomes
- Key drivers of success in difficult conversations
- 5 principles and 10 techniques for getting positive outcomes from difficult conversations
- Scientific research on how our emotions, thoughts, beliefs and values affect our dynamics during moments of conflict
- Insights from great leaders in how to move people from conflict to collaboration, win over one’s opponents, and achieve win-win breakthroughs
- Practical tools for how to disagree constructively and how to say “No”
Part II: Strategic Influencing
Win others' support for your causes
- Differentiating between compliance and commitment
- 12 tactics to win others’ support, identified by the latest science of persuasion
- 5 principles of strategic influencing that help you drive long-term impact
- Template to prepare for and conduct an influencing discussion
- IPL’s library of video role-plays and film clips that demonstrate poor and strong examples of influencing in practice
- How great leaders gain commitment for their agenda from a broad range of stakeholders
- Analysis of a feature film that powerfully illustrates great influencing in action
Part III: Building Trust at High Speed
Cultivate a strong personal leadership brand that gets people to trust you.
- The critical role of trust in professional life
- 5 mindsets that erode trust – and 5 mindsets that maximize trust
- Principles for building trust at high speed
- Building blocks of trust – and practical ways you can build trust along each block
- Analysis of a feature-film based on an inspiring real-life story of how a great leader got people to trust him – and how this trust helped him achieve remarkable impact
Upon completion of this program, you will earn one day towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits. Learn more.
This Columbia-IPL Executive Program takes you on a 12-week journey to acquiring mastery over a personal leadership competency.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Time Required: 3 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- Opportunity to interact with a global community of executive participants
- The Institute for Personal Leadership's proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- The Institute for Personal Leadership's proprietary Virtual Mentor platform for practice and feedback (for select programs)
- Certificate of Completion (Executive Program) from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education
- One day of credit toward a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School. Learn more
- Four live online review sessions led by IPL faculty
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and framework
The Institute for Personal Leadership offers a scientific approach to personal leadership development developed by Prof. Wadhwa at Columbia Business School. It consists of three steps:
Step 1. POTENTIAL: Compelling evidence on how much potential there is in all of us to grow, lead and achieve greater success in life and leadership.
Step 2. PRINCIPLES: A codified set of principles to help unlock your full potential through an inside-out path where inner mastery serves as a foundation for outer impact.
Step 3. PRACTICE: Tools and other resources for everyday support to help you translate these principles into action and make them a daily habit.
PARTICIPANT PROFILE & TESTIMONIALS
The Winning People’s Support program is designed for executives of all levels who want to build their personal leadership brand and acquire the core people skills to maximize their positive impact in work and life.
Alumni and up to four of their colleagues are eligible for a 25 percent tuition benefit for programs lasting up to seven days. More on the Alumni Tuition Benefit.
What recent participants are saying about the program:
"The role-play practice in this program is great to help develop critical skills that put you on a path to optimize interactions with others, improve outcomes, and enhance relationships. I had to let an employee go due to policy violations. The conversation was better and the outcome less destructive because of my approach based on the techniques learnt in this class."
– Stuart Page, CEO, Glori Energy, a GE Ventures Company
"This program has helped me in becoming more mindful of my communication style and that has improved my effectiveness. The role-plays are an innovative and entertaining way to hone your interpersonal skills. The use of video scenarios and peer reviews make the experience immersive and highly educational."
– Brian Stempel, Director-Litigation Technology, Kirkland & Ellis LLP
"This program has helped me dramatically improve my personal leadership qualities and interpersonal communications skills through its principles, techniques and simulations of various aspects of corporate life followed by feedback and evaluation. I have validated my new skills within our startup company and results have been stunning – the quality of the teamwork has dramatically improved."
– Leon Eisen, CEO and Co-founder, Oxitone – a GE Ventures Company
Hitendra Wadhwa, Faculty Director
Professor of Practice
Hitendra Wadhwa is Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership (IPL). He teaches Columbia's most popular MBA leadership class on Personal Leadership & Success. He also teaches MBA and Executive Education programs on Driving Strategic Impact and Leading from the Inside Out, and has received the 2015 Executive-MBA Commitment to Excellence Award, the 2012 Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence, and the 2008 Columbia Marketing Association Award for the Most Dynamic and Engaging Professor.
Prof. Wadhwa's widely acclaimed research and teaching on leadership have been covered by Fortune, Psychology Today, BBC World Service, Inc., Financial Times, and Wall Street Journal. The institute he has founded, IPL, is at the forefront of the new science of Personal Leadership, training executives in how to maximize Outer Impact through Inner Mastery. His clients include SAP, Pfizer, Ericsson, GE, Godrej Group, Microsoft, Standards & Poors and Bayer.
In the past, Hitendra was a consultant at McKinsey & Company and the CEO/founder of a Silicon Valley start-up, Paramark, which was twice recognized as a Top-100 Internet technology company by Technologic Partners/Venture Wire. He received his MBA and PhD in Management Science from the Sloan School at MIT, and his B.A. (Honors in Mathematics) from St. Stephens College, University of Delhi, where he graduated top of his class.