You are here
The Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Management Program, working in close collaboration with the MBA student healthcare club, HCIA, produces a variety of activities throughout the year, including:
- Columbia Business School Annual Healthcare Conference
- Career Mentoring Breakfasts
- Healthcare Boot Camp
- Lunch and Learn
- Healthcare Career Supercharger
- Alumni Networking Events
These events broaden students’ exposure to global healthcare practice and complement the learning that occurs in the classroom. Students interact regularly with leading industry practitioners, many of whom are alumni, through experiential-learning opportunities in the classroom and the following events throughout the year.
Columbia Business School Annual Healthcare Conference
This annual conference focuses on strategic areas of timely interest in the industry and draws hundreds of students, alumni, and industry professionals. The event features keynote speakers and panel discussions followed by a networking reception and career fair with the Conference's corporate sponsors. The Columbia Business School 11th Annual Healthcare Conference, “Use of Data and Technology to Innovate, Value and Reengineer Healthcare”, took place at the New York Marriott Marquis on Friday, November 21, 2014.
Keynote speakers included:
- Daniel P. O'Day '97, Chief Operating Officer, Roche Pharmaceuticals; Member, Roche Corporate Executive Committee
- Charles W. Sorenson, MD, President & CEO, Intermountain Healthcare
Keynote speakers from past Conferences included:
- Robert J. Hugin, Chairman and CEO, Celgene
- Giovanni Colella '95, CEO and Co-founder, Castlight Health
- Eric C. Rackow, MD, President and CEO, SeniorBridge (Humana)
- Franz Humer M.D., Chairman, Roche AG
- Sheri McCoy, then-Vice Chairman, Executive Committee, and member of the Office of the Chairman, Johnson & Johnson
- Mark Bertolini, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President, Aetna Inc.
- Marc Tessier-Lavigne PhD, President, Rockefeller University
- Sherry A. Glied, PhD, Professor of Health Policy and Management, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
Career Mentoring Breakfasts
Distinguished healthcare industry leaders meet with small groups of students to discuss career paths, the job market, and the state of the industry.
Healthcare Boot Camp
Seasoned practitioners work with students to review the operating environment, key performance drivers, and leading companies in the sector. These sessions, typically held in the fall, augment the healthcare electives and provide useful additional insight into the pharmaceutical/biotechnology, medical-devices/diagnostics, and healthcare-services sectors. Past Panelists include:
Jon Gordon, Director, Office of Strategy, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Rachel Winokur, Head of Business Development, Healthagen
Bob Essner, Retired CEO of Wyeth, CBS Adjunct Professor
Lunch and Learn
Senior executives visit campus throughout the year to share their expertise with students and faculty members in a small-group setting.
Healthcare Career Supercharger
Alumni practitioners lead this evening seminar in early fall, offering students an introduction to key sectors and jobs in the healthcare industry. Alumni representatives invited from various areas of the industry participate in a panel discussion about the nature of their work and the skills, talents, and personality attributes needed to succeed in their roles. 2014 Panelists include:
- Doug Hayes, Executive Director, Blueprint Health LLC
- Kalyan Jonnalagadda, Principal, Bain & Company
- Naomi Wender Leslie '10, Vice President, Goldman Sachs
- David McIntyre, Partner, Apple Tree Partners
- Brooke Raphael '09, Associate Director, Project Management, Celgene Corporation
- Ben Wade '09, Senior Director, Strategic Planning, Montefiore Medical Center
Past Panelists include:
- Fran Heller J.D., Senior Vice President, Business Development, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Robert Kennedy ’07, Senior Manager, Deloitte Consulting
- Philippe McAuliffe ’05, Partner, Parella Weinberg Partners
- Lydia Regopoulos ’08, Manager, Managed Care Finance & Operations, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Brian Clas '08, Senior Manager, WW Commercial Development, Pfizer
Alumni Networking Events
These events throughout the year, organized by the Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Management Program/HCIA and in conjunction with the Office of Alumni Relations, invite prominent alumni and other professionals to participate in panel discussions on important topics impacting the healthcare industry.
The 11th Annual Healthcare Conference
Columbia Business School's 11th Annual Healthcare Conference, "Using Data and Technology to Innovate, Value, and Reengineer Healthcare", was held on Friday, November 21, 2014 at the New York Marriott Marquis.
Speakers presented informed views on how to create new business opportunities and use data and technology to advance the development and delivery of healthcare products and services.
In the News
How the Healthcare Job Market has Changed and How to Adapt
Professor Cliff Cramer discusses changes in the healthcare job market for MBA students, and how the HPM Program is structured and adapting to meet the evolving needs of students and healthcare employers.Read more
Doctor Shortage? What Doctor Shortage?
The article in The Washington Post features research by Professor Linda Green that examines how physician shortages could be eliminated.Read more
Prof Cliff Cramer, Director
Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Management Program
3022 Broadway Uris Hall 218A
New York, NY 10027-6902