You are here
Economic Stimulus Through Refinancing
Last Update: January 2013
Now Is the Time to Consider Widespread Refinancing
By Alan Boyce, R. Glenn Hubbard, Christopher Mayer, and James Witkin
- Proposal: Streamlined Refinancings for up to 13 Million Borrowers (draft 6/13/2012, PDF)
- Comprehensive Analytical Model: The Boyce/Hubbard/Mayer/Witkin Plan (6/12/2012, Excel)
- Estimates: Benefits from Refinancing by State and Congressional District (1/31/2013, Excel) Note: The above calculations consider only GSE-guaranteed mortgages and should not be directly compared to prior analysis utilizing the full universe of outstanding GSE/FHA/VA mortgages.
- Estimates: Impact of a 2009 Streamlined Refinancing Plan (10/26/12, Excel)
- Alan Boyce addresses questions about Freddie Mac's trading in inverse IO floaters (Zero Hedge, 2/5/2012)
- Freddie Mac shows refinancings reduce default by 54% (12/1/12)
- CBO Analysis Strengthens Case for Major Refinancing Program (9/7/2011, PDF)
With the 10-year Treasury rate near its lowest point since the Great Depression, there is a new opportunity for the federal government to implement a new economic stimulus program . . . helping over 12 million borrowers with government guaranteed mortgages at today's record-low rates. Under our plan, homeowners could save more than $25 billion per year in interest payments at no cost to the US Treasury. More than one-half of the savings would go to middle-class households whose mortgages started at less than $200,000.
March 31, 2014
March 24, 2014
February 26, 2014
February 10, 2014
January 14, 2014
January 14, 2014
January 7, 2014
December 13, 2013
Michael Giliberto discusses the evolution of institutional investing in real estate, lessons on investing, and his teaching with Jovaun Boyd ’14.
Alicia Glen discusses how to connect the dots between the public and private sectors as well as her career path and teaching with Annie Koo ’14.
Andrew Jacobs ’96
Andrew Jacobs ’96 discusses his firm’s business, opportunities in the current economic climate, and his teaching with Diego Banos Garcia ’13.