You are here
Alumni & Executive Directors
The NBLP provides students with a unique professional opportunity to work with Columbia Business School alumni who are actively serving on nonprofit boards.
Operating under a mentorship structure, the program exposes students to the inner dynamics of successful nonprofit boards and helps prepare them for future board participation. The role of alumni in this program strengthens the connection between the business school and its ever-growing network of successful leaders in New York while also providing a resource for alumni and non-profit boards to use to increase their effectiveness. The program runs over the course of a single academic year, serving approximately 30 alumni and students annually. To fill out an application, please click here.
Following a rigorous selection process, students are matched with an alumnus mentor and gain first hand exposure to the nonprofit’s activities through three distinct exercises:
- Students attend two to three Board of Directors meetings as an observer and aid the alumnus board member;
- Students complete an independent research project in coordination with the alumnus, the executive director, and/or key staff members of the nonprofit, and;
- Students attend two to three volunteer functions or other relevant events hosted by the nonprofit to gain a holistic understanding of the nonprofit’s operations.
August – September
- Students are matched with alumnus mentors
- Students complete orientation at Columbia Business School;
- Students scope projects with alumnus.
October – March
- Students attend volunteer event(s) to gain an understanding of the organization;
- Students attend board and/or sub-committee meetings with alumnus;
- Students work to complete research project in coordination with alumnus.
March – April
- Students complete project with alumnus and present findings to Executive Director / Board as appropriate;
- Closing reception.
For more information, please contact Sandi Wright at email@example.com or by phone: (212) 854-8063.
March 4, 2014
February 21, 2014
November 1, 2013
October 8, 2013
June 6, 2013
June 21, 2013
May 27, 2011
May 10, 2014
Spark Workshop on Education Technology
April 28, 2014
Beyond the Pioneer: Getting Inclusive Industries to Scale
April 4, 2014
Green Business Summit
Keep up to date with what's happening with the Social Enterprise Program by signing up to our quarterly newsletter.SIGN UP NOW
Summer Fellowship Program
Read about the experiences of our summer fellows as they help create social and environmental value.