- Chazen Global Study Tours
- Global Immersion Program
- Chazen Block Week Classes
- Chazen MBA Exchange
- Chazen Language Program
- Chazen Institute Travel Fund
- Chazen Leadership Fellows Program
- Global Consulting Projects
- Travel Photo Contest
- Latin America
- Chazen Global Insights
No global perspective is complete without the ability to communicate effectively in a cross-cultural environment. Whether you are asking for directions or conveying a business idea to a client abroad, communicating in the native tongue can give you a decided advantage.
For career advancement or personal pleasure, join the more than 2,500 students who have taken advantage of the Chazen Language Program. Begin learning the sounds of a new language, or brush up on and practice a language that you have studied previously.
The Chazen Language Program offers 8-week courses with a focus on communication through conversation. The program offers students an intimate group setting, concentrating primarily on learning through the spoken word. Oral skills precede reading and writing, with a limited focus on grammar.
Classes are typically offered in Arabic, Business English, Chinese, French, German, Hindi, Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish at beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels. Classes in additional languages can be offered if there is sufficient interest. At the advanced language levels, classes emphasize business terminology.
Class time offerings
- Mondays: 6:00 – 7:30 p.m., 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays: 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., 6:00 – 7:30 p.m., 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 6:00 – 7:30 p.m., 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
- Thursdays: 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., 6:00 – 7:30 p.m., 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
- Fridays: 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Saturdays: 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
See the Language Program Calendar for a more detailed class schedule.
Foreign Language classes are taught by professional instructors from ABC Languages, two-time winner of Time Out New York’s Best Language School in New York. ABC brings highly trained instructors with years of experience to the job to teach language in a dynamic and effective way.
1. What languages do you offer? We can offer a class in almost any language as long as there are at least 4 students who are interested and available. We almost always offer various levels of Spanish, French, Mandarin, and English. We have also offered Korean, Japanese, Portuguese, German, Italian, Arabic, and more.
2. Who can take classes? These classes are open to all Columbia affiliates and their spouses, including students, staff, faculty, and alumni of all Columbia schools. If you’re still not sure if you can take a class, please reach out to us at [email protected].
3. What are the classes like? The format of the class is determined by the individual teacher, based on their teaching style, the level and language of the class, and feedback from the students. Most classes generally consist of a mix of conversation, grammar, textbook exercises, and cultural learning. We highly encourage students to any ideas that they have or goals that they are looking to get achieve from the class with their teacher. Classes comprise of 3-6 students and will be held on Zoom.
4. What time will my class be? Class schedules are set based on the availability of the students in the class. We have changed the times around a bit to accommodate the new CBS semester schedule. When you register, please only list times that will work for you all semester, and double check that the dates of the classes work for you. All class times are in EST.
5. Do you have more questions? Please reach out to us directly at [email protected].
Looking for something else?
· If you’re looking for more individualized learning, ABC Languages offers private online lessons.