- Events and Networking
- CBS Startup Stories
For the first time in its 20+ year history, The Lang Fund opened a selection process for early-stage, alumni-founded startups on January 5th, 2021. To receive updates on important dates, subscribe to our Alumni Newsletter.
For questions, contact [email protected].
About the Lang Entrepreneurial Initiative Fund
Established in 1996 with a $1 million gift from Eugene M. Lang, MS '40, the Eugene M. Lang Entrepreneurial Initiative Fund ("The Lang Fund") fosters an entrepreneurial environment at Columbia Business School by providing early-stage investing opportunities to qualifying student and alumni ventures. It also allows the School to share in the success of funded ventures through negotiated equity or other participation.
Learn about the latest Lang Fund Recipients.
Alumni Selection Cycle - Dates & Eligibility
- 09/22/22 - Lang Fund Info Session at 12:00 ET
- 09/30/22 - Alumni Submission Window Closes. Companies will be selected on a rolling basis
- 10/17/22 - Selected Alumni Ventures Pitch to Screening Committee
- 11/14/22 - Final Round Pitch, investment decisions are made by Lang Fund Investment Committee
Eligibility & Requirements
The Lang Fund is looking for alumni ventures that fit the following criteria:
- Pre-seed or seed stage companies, ideally post-revenue with 6 months of customer data
- At least one member of the founding team must be a CBS alum
- The founding team must all be working full-time on their venture
- The venture must be raising, or looking to raise a round within the next 12 months
- The Lang Fund is geographically and sector agnostic
Student Selection Cycle - Dates & Eligibility
- Please check back for updates on the next selection cycle.
Dates subject to change.
Eligibility & Requirements
Graduating students who intend to work on their ventures full-time after graduation are eligible to apply for funding from the Lang Fund Board. In order to apply you must be a Columbia Business School student graduating in 2022.
The entry requirements include:
- Completed application highlighting venture accomplishments and intent to work on venture full-time
- Five to seven-slide deck outlining your venture
- Participation in due diligence process
Note that while applications are accepted from ventures of all stages, preference may be given to companies that have shown initial traction and/or other types of market validation.
Conditions of Investment
Lang Fund winners typically are awarded a $25,000-100,000 commitment to invest, to be executed for up to one year, as part of an existing capital fundraise. The format of the investment is to be on the exact same terms as existing investors in the same round, commonly taking the form a SAFE, convertible note, or preferred stock investment, subject to an additional side-letter addressing Columbia-specific program requirements.
The Lang Fund Board retains sole discretion for deciding which businesses it will fund each year and may decide in a given year to forgo the funding of any projects if none of the ventures presented meet its investment criteria.
Questions? Contact [email protected].