- For Individuals
- Comprehensive Management
- Social Enterprise
- Contact Us
- For Organizations
- Program Finder
- Portfolio Download
- Certificate Paths
"In judging our progress as individuals we tend to concentrate on external factors such as one’s social position, wealth and standard of education…but internal factors may be even more crucial in assessing one’s development as a human being: honesty, sincerity, simplicity, humility."
– Nelson Mandela
We admire great leaders for their purposeful outer journey. But these leaders have engaged in an equally purposeful inner journey, where they have assiduously searched for answers to the following questions: What are my values, and what is my purpose? How can I align my life and leadership with my values and purpose? What is the right identity for me to embrace – who am I? How should I cultivate the confidence I need in the face of pressure, criticism, and failure? How can I be true to my self even when the world isn’t aligned with me?
Developing Your Inner Core invites you to take the journey of a lifetime, to strengthen your relationship with the most crucial person in your life: your own self. You will learn how to operate more authentically, articulate your values, and align your behavior with these values, forge your life purpose, establish a personal scorecard, build self-confidence, cultivate a winning self-identity, and fortify your wellbeing from the ebbs and flows of life and leadership.
By crystallizing your sense of self, anchoring you from within, and establishing your life direction, Developing Your Inner Core will give you the inner clarity, direction and strength you need to live and lead in a complex, uncertain, ever-changing world.
What You Will Learn
Part I: How to be True to Yourself
Operate with a natural force of character, anchored in your true self
- The barriers that limit us from operating authentically
- 5-stage path to authenticity in life and leadership
- How to cultivate self-confidence from the inside-out
- Inner vs. outer scorecard in life and leadership; the winning scorecard
Part II: Goals, Values, and Purpose
Establish an inner polestar for life and leadership
- Powerful - and surprising - scientific findings on our pursuit of happiness
- How to define your values and close the gap between your values and your behavior
- 6 stages in pursuing purpose
- 10 principles for a purpose-driven life
- Reflections to help you define your purpose
Part III: Self-Realization
Cultivate inner strength, focus and clarity – and realize who you truly are
- How social stereotypes affect your self-identity – and how your self-identity influences your performance
- How to redefine your self-identity to maximize your potential
- The benefits – and costs – of high self esteem
- The winning path to self-esteem
- Scientifically validated benefits of meditation
- Why meditation is critical to a leader’s arsenal
- Building a personal meditation practice
Upon completion of this program, you will earn two days towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits. Learn more.
This Columbia-IPL Executive Program takes you on a 12-week journey to acquiring mastery over a personal leadership competency.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Time Required: 3 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- Opportunity to interact with a global community of executive participants
- The Institute for Personal Leadership's proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- The Institute for Personal Leadership's proprietary Virtual Mentor platform for practice and feedback (for select programs)
- Certificate of Completion (Executive Program) from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education
- Two days of credit toward a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School. Learn more
- Four live online review sessions led by IPL faculty
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and framework
The Institute for Personal Leadership offers a scientific approach to personal leadership development developed by Prof. Wadhwa at Columbia Business School. It consists of three steps:
Step 1. POTENTIAL: Compelling evidence on how much potential there is in all of us to grow, lead and achieve greater success in life and leadership.
Step 2. PRINCIPLES: A codified set of principles to help unlock your full potential through an inside-out path where inner mastery serves as a foundation for outer impact.
Step 3. PRACTICE: Tools and other resources for everyday support to help you translate these principles into action and make them a daily habit.
PARTICIPANT PROFILE & TESTIMONIALS
The Developing Your Inner Core program is designed for executives of all levels who are looking to develop their inner clarity and strength in order to operate at full potential.
Alumni and up to four of their colleagues are eligible for a 25 percent tuition benefit for programs lasting up to seven days. More on the Alumni Tuition Benefit.
What recent participants are saying about the program:
"This is one of the best courses I have experienced in my life. I sincerely see how much impact it has had on me – on my behavior, my communication skills, my self-confidence, and my ability to step back. It has given me the tools and techniques to become an effective leader."
– Chams Edine Ndiaya, Project Manager, ALLIANZ
"This class offered in-depth research and learnings from the lives of great leaders, insights supported by different research methods and practical techniques for self-improvement."
– Christine Alvarez, Vice President - Integrated Marketing, Discovery Communication
"This class has given me the opportunity to learn more about leadership, both from the content and from other participants. It blends both sources wonderfully. Spending time better understanding myself through this class was a very good investment."
– Ray Luthur, Executive Director, Indiana University
Hitendra Wadhwa, Faculty Director
Professor of Practice
Hitendra Wadhwa is Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership (IPL). He teaches Columbia's most popular MBA leadership class on Personal Leadership & Success. He also teaches MBA and Executive Education programs on Driving Strategic Impact and Leading from the Inside Out, and has received the 2015 Executive-MBA Commitment to Excellence Award, the 2012 Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence, and the 2008 Columbia Marketing Association Award for the Most Dynamic and Engaging Professor.
Prof. Wadhwa's widely acclaimed research and teaching on leadership have been covered by Fortune, Psychology Today, BBC World Service, Inc., Financial Times, and Wall Street Journal. The institute he has founded, IPL, is at the forefront of the new science of Personal Leadership, training executives in how to maximize Outer Impact through Inner Mastery. His clients include SAP, Pfizer, Ericsson, GE, Godrej Group, Microsoft, Standards & Poors and Bayer.
In the past, Hitendra was a consultant at McKinsey & Company and the CEO/founder of a Silicon Valley start-up, Paramark, which was twice recognized as a Top-100 Internet technology company by Technologic Partners/Venture Wire. He received his MBA and PhD in Management Science from the Sloan School at MIT, and his B.A. (Honors in Mathematics) from St. Stephens College, University of Delhi, where he graduated top of his class.