- Benefits & Features
- Student Life
- Student Organizations
- International Students
- The Culture of NYC
- Career Advantages
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Connect with Admissions
- Executive MBA
- Options & Locations
- Student Life
- Career Management
- Connect with EMBA
- Why a Columbia PhD?
- Job Market
- Current Doctoral Students
- Master of Science
- Masters of Science in Accounting and Fundamental Analysis
- Master of Science in Financial Economics
- MS in Marketing Science
- Student Life
- Current Master of Science Students
- Executive Education
- Comprehensive Management
- Social Enterprise
- Programs for Organizations
- Undergraduate Concentration
"At Columbia Business School, we teach value investing to our MBA students and to executives. These courses have been extremely popular and are always overbooked. That’s why we created this online program so that people across the world can learn how to become a value investor."
– The program's Faculty Director Tano Santos
Legendary investors like Warren Buffett and Mario Gabelli have been guided by the value investing principles during their entire careers. It’s an investment approach that helps investors identify, research, and buy securities priced well below their true market value.
This online program is designed to give you a strong foundation in the value investing process. We’ll give you tools and strategies to collect and analyze information as well as an integrated framework that teaches you how to identify opportunities for investment that others may miss.
Throughout the program, we ask questions such as:
- Does diversification create value?
- How do I factor in economies of scale, first mover advantage, and barriers to entry?
- When does the value investor know when to buy?
- When does growth create value?
Please Contact Us
Please contact our partners at Emeritus at firstname.lastname@example.org, +13159825094 or +13152772746 for a personal conversation to learn more.
At the end of the program, you will be able to:
- Apply the value investing principles to make smart, rational investment decisions
- Think independently about investment opportunities without simply following the market
- Learn to calculate asset value and earnings power value to understand the underlying value of a security
- Be able to conduct a strategic analysis of a company to understand its ability to produce ongoing profits
- Learn how to assess and value growth opportunities and learn why many value investors shun high growth businesses
- Execute a method for making investments by exploiting available data
- Follow a process for systematic valuation
- Strengthen your ability to evaluate growth and risk
Upon completion of this program, you will earn one day towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits. Learn more.
Our approach to this program is to teach the core value investing concepts and then take the learners through in-depth case studies where they will apply these concepts. Key components include video lectures, case studies, and application exercises, so the methods are put to use with real-world company examples. Every two weeks, participants learn a new set of concepts and have multiple opportunities to apply the learning.
The program includes the following modules:
Module 1: Value Investment
Foundations, framework, and introduction to asset value: overview of the valuation approach and calculating asset value
Module 2: Earnings Power Value
The methodology to identify and buy securities priced well below their true value
Module 3: Strategic Analysis
Understanding the value of scale economies and barriers to entry
Module 4: Magna International Case Study
Valuation exercise for automotive market in the aftermath of the financial crisis
Module 5: Growth and Value
Estimating future earnings and accounting for growth using Walmart as an example
Module 6: Amazon Case Study
Calculating the value of a high-growth company in dynamic industry segments
Module 7: Risk Management
Managing the risks of individual stocks and portfolios through proven financial and management strategies
Module 8: John Deere Case Study
Using the value investing approach to evaluating the attractiveness of John Deere
Individual investors and portfolio managers will benefit from learning the value investing methodology, uncovering opportunities that others miss. Beyond that, the analytical approach teaches critical thinking about growth and profitability, valuable for all corporate decision makers.
Typical Participant Mix
Years of Work Experience
Tano Santos, Faculty Director
Faculty co-director and head of research of the Heilbrunn Center for Graham & Dodd Investing
David L. and Elise M. Dodd Professor of Finance
Tano Santos is one of Columbia Business School’s value investing experts. His current research focuses on two distinct areas: asset pricing, with an emphasis on theoretical and empirical models that can account for the predictability of returns; and applied economic theory, specifically, the economics of financial innovations as well as theory of organizations. Santos joined the Columbia Business School faculty in 2003.