- Get Help
- Choosing a Laptop
- Network and Wireless Services
- Orientation Information
- CBS Digital Casebooks (iPads)
- Information and Infrastructure Committee (IIC)
- Student FAQ
- Faculty Computing Committee
- Windows 10
- CBS Standard Video Platforms
- Network Drives
- OneDrive For Business
- Travel Tips for Mobile Device Use
- Information Security
- Useful Downloads
CBS is undertaking an initiative to upgrade our anti-virus (AV) software from Sophos to Malwarebytes, and this message details required actions for any CBS-issued computer. These steps will avoid any gaps in security patches and maintain compliance for CBS owned devices. By Friday May 15th 2020, please complete the following steps on any CBS-issued computer for which you are responsible. Our testing of the process has shown that performing these actions will take no more than 10 minutes per device, with one reboot is required. In addition, to perform these steps, you will need to utilize the CU VPN, which is the same service used to access PQRS drives and similar resources remotely.
For each computer:
- Save all your work and close all open applications.
- Launch Cisco AnyConnect and connect to the VPN (vpn.cc.columbia.edu).
- If the computer is on campus, connect to it now via Windows Remote Desktop.
- Open the Software Center by doing a Windows Search for Software Center.
- Under the “Applications” Click Install for “Sophos to Malwarebytes Migration”.
- If you do not see this item, click Options on the left-hand bar, then Computer Maintenance and Sync Policy.
- Go back to Applications, find the “Sophos to Malwarebytes Migration”. Click Install.
- You’ll notice a progress bar indicating process steps for removing Sophos and installing Malwarebytes.
- The computer will Restart during this process.
- Once the computer restarts, proceed to login in with your standard credentials.
- The sequence will continue to run the process, which will run for anywhere between 1 to 5 minutes.
- Once the progress bar disappears the whole process has completed.
- Save all your work and close all applications.
- From the Dock launch Self Service.
- Under the ‘Featured’ section, you’ll notice the “Sophos to Malwarebytes Migration” item.
- Click Run.
- You’ll notice the progress bar that will indicate the start of the process.
- Note: macOS may want to block MalwareBytes from being installed due to it not recognizing the developer. If you are prompted to allow the app to run, it will appear in System Preferences > Security & Privacy under the General tab. Click Open Anyway to confirm your intent to open or install the app. A warning prompt will appear to which you can click Open. The app is now saved as an exception to your security settings.
- Once this process finalizes, you’ll see the button update to Done. This will indicate that the process is finalized.
Please do not hesitate to contact your support group if you need live assistance performing any of these tasks or have any questions.