PawPrint For CBS Students
CBS students have enhanced access to the University’s PawPrint software and printing locations, powered by Pharos. This service allows you to print directly from your smartphone and laptop, or any other authenticated devices by leveraging a web portal (PawPrint Center), iPhone/Android app, or installing a local driver on your laptop. In addition, students can print from the web kiosks found on the hallways of business school buildings, or from computer labs and ColumbiaNet kiosks around the University.
With Release Anywhere technology, PawPrint allows students to send their print job(s) to a virtual print queue, rather than a specific printer, and then quickly/easily “release” the job(s) at the printer of their choice. Other benefits of the system include:
- Ability to print in all University buildings using the same configuration.
- Ability to print in color from your own device.
- In the unlikely event that you exhaust your default allocation, you can now purchase additional pages from the PawPrint Center.
- You can now release your print jobs in a ‘touchless’ manner, either by tapping your CUID card at the readers attached to all printers, or by scanning the QR code on the printers from the Pharos app on your phone.
Getting Started with PawPrint takes three quick steps:
1. Log into the PawPrint Center (https://pawprint.columbia.edu/) to activate your account – use your UNI and University password. It might take up to 60 minutes after you log in for your account to allow printouts, so log in RIGHT NOW to avoid having to wait by the time you need to print.
2. Install the native drivers on your laptop to allow you to use the Print menu in all programs: if you had already installed the CBS-only version of the Pharos software, you will need to remove it – simply click on the Uninstall Pharos icon in the Pharos program folder (in Mac OS, find it in /Library/Application Support/Pharos). Then download the PawPrint local/native driver to your laptop.
3. Install the Pharos app on your phone: if you have already installed the Pharos app on your phone, you’ll just need to change the way that you are logged into it. Expand the instructions below for more details.
Mobile Device Printing (iOS and Android)
This service allows students to print directly from any of their authenticated devices (tablet, smartphone).
iOS (Apple iPhone, iPad) Pharos Setup
The Pharos Print app allows you to easily submit content from your iOS mobile device to a PawPrint secure print queue. The instructions below will guide you to configure your iOS mobile device with the ITG recommended PawPrint setup.
1. Download the Pharos Print App.
2. Launch the app and connect using our Server Address: pawprint.columbia.edu and Port: 443, then login with your UNI and password. Setup is complete!
There are a few ways to print to PawPrint from your Apple mobile device. When printing from your iOS device, you must use an application that supports “Open In” functionality in order to upload files to the Pharos App. The native email app, Safari, iCloud, Google Drive, and Dropbox are the most common applications that support “Open In”.
Android Mobile Device Pharos Setup
For Android devices we recommend using the built-in browser (Chrome), where you can create a shortcut/icon to the PawPrint portal (see above). Although there is an App for Android, it is very similar to what you would get through the portal.
- Launch your Android’s Google Chrome browser and go to pawprint.columbia.edu. Login with your UNI and password
- In the browser, click on the options icon (top right) and Add to Home screen
- Name it “PawPrint”
- Download the Pharos Print app
Setup is complete! You can close the Pharos Print app
Pharos Printing from your Android mobile device
Printing from your Android mobile device means printing from your Android’s Chrome browser. Please refer to the Pharos Web Portal Overview to print from your Android device.
For any questions or suggestions regarding printing at CBS or any other IT service, please contact ITG Student Support at [email protected]
To help guide you, below are some of the most frequently asked questions. You can also see comprehensive list of FAQs here.
How do I authenticate or connect to PawPrint after installing the mobile app?
Connect using our Server Address: pawprint.columbia.edu and Port: 443, then login with your UNI and password.
Why is my print job not printing?
The most common reasons are: If you have a print-protected/secured PDF, even if it’s one page out of the entire document, your print job will not print.
How do I print in color?
You can only print in color using the PawPrint Color Printer installed in your laptop or from a kiosk computer.
What document types are supported?
Support for popular file formats currently includes, Microsoft Office (.doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx), Visio (.vsd), Publisher (.pub). It also includes PDF, images (.jpg, .jpeg, .png, etc), and text (rtf, txt, ini, csv).
Can I use kiosk printers to release jobs uploaded to PawPrint?
Absolutely, just tap your ID on the reader and that will release all of your print jobs in the PawPrint queue. Otherwise scan the QR code on the printer with your Pharos mobile app.