- Forgot Your Password?
- Choosing a Laptop
- Network and Wireless Services
- Orientation Information
- OneDrive For Business
- Information and Infrastructure Committee (IIC)
- Student FAQ
- Faculty Computing Committee
- Windows 10
- OneDrive For Business
- Travel Tips for Mobile Device Use
- Information Security
- Useful Downloads
Pharos Printing System (For Students)
Printing resources in the Business School are provided by the Information Technology Group (ITG) exclusively for use by the Business School community.
Students now have access to the School’s new print management infrastructure and software powered by Pharos. This service allows students to print directly from any of their authenticated devices while connected to the CBS-Secure wireless network:
There is no longer a need to print from the kiosks, although the kiosks will still be available, along with the ability to continue printing from your laptop as you have in the past. The software will also permit students to send a print job to a virtual print queue, rather than a specific printer, and then quickly/easily “release” the job at the printer of their choice. This will reduce the congestion we sometimes experience when a disproportionate number of jobs are sent to one particular printer.
- Mobile Device Printing – This service allows students to print directly from any of their authenticated devices (tablet, smartphone, laptop) while connected to the CBS-Secure wireless network.
- Email Printing – This service allows students to email most documents as attachments to a specified email address which will automatically have it waiting for you at any printer.
- Pharos Web Portal – This service allows students to visit a website, login, then “upload” the document and have it waiting for them at any printer.
- Release Anywhere – With this feature your print job gets sent to a virtual queue which allows you to approach any printer and release the job there.
- Job Security - With Pharos Secure Release Here® technology, users must be present at the device to authenticate and release a print job.
Getting Started with Pharos
To use this new service, utilize any or all of the methods below. To help guide you, we've also included a comprehensive list of supported file formats and Frequently Asked Questions.
Pharos Web Portal Overview
The Pharos Web Portal is supported on all major browsers, such as Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. The ITG recommended browser is Chrome. The portal is most ideal when printing from your personal computer (laptop) and is accessible by visiting http://pharos.gsb.columbia.edu and logging in with your Lifetime ID and Business School password. You cannot access http://pharos.gsb.columbia.edu from outside the CBS-Secure network.
Here, you can do a few things such as:
- Upload files to print (single file limit: 52 MB)
- Delete print jobs and view activity history
- Select print options for your job (copies, color, sides, pages per sheet/side)
Keep in mind that the portal will timeout after about 20 minutes of inactivity and jobs will expire 3 hours after being uploaded. The Job List tab is displayed by default, as shown.
The Activity tab is used to view your activity history. Details include date and time jobs were submitted, and a description of the job (file type, amount of pages printed, page size, etc).
Once you’ve uploaded file(s) to print and applied any print options, simply walk over to the printer and tap your ID at the release station to print your job. If you happen not to be carrying your ID card, you can log in with your Lifetime ID and CBS password at the terminal.
Email Printing Overview
You can also email your attached documents from your GSB email account (YourLifetimeID@gsb.columbia.edu), to email@example.com (see picture below) and it will then be waiting for you by the terminal to be released. This can be done in two (2) easy steps.
- Using your GSB email account, create a new email with the attachments you wish to print (see Known Limitations below) and address it as follows:
- Once you’ve received email confirmation that your job(s) are ready to print, simply walk over to the printer of your choosing and tap your ID at the release station to print your job. If you happen not to be carrying your ID card, you can log in with your Lifetime ID and CBS password at the terminal.
Note: If the email body contains at least 60 characters of text it will be printed along with your signature. Otherwise, both the signature and text in the email body will not be printed.
As always, you can login to the Pharos Web Portal (https://pharos.gsb.columbia.edu) to view and make changes to your document(s) before releasing them at the printer.
Mobile Device Printing Overview
iOS (Apple iPhone, iPad) Pharos Setup
The Pharos Print app allows you to easily submit content from your iOS mobile device to a Pharos secure print queue. The instructions below will guide you to configure your iOS mobile device with the ITG recommended Pharos setup. Although you can install the app at any point, you must be connected to CBS-Secure to complete the setup and use the Pharos Service at CBS.
- Download the Pharos Print App
- Launch the app and connect using our Server Address: pharos.gsb.columbia.edu and Port: 443, then login with your Lifetime ID and Business School password
Setup is complete! You can close the Pharos Print app
Pharos Printing from your iOS (Apple iPhone, iPad) device
There are a few ways to print to Pharos from your Apple mobile device. When printing from your iOS device, you must use an application that supports “Open In” functionality in order to upload files to the Pharos App. The native email app, Safari, iCloud, Google Drive, and Dropbox are the most common applications that support “Open In”.
Android Mobile Device Pharos Setup
For Android devices we recommend using the built-in browser (Chrome), where you can create a shortcut/icon to the Pharos portal (see below). Although there is an App for Android, it is still in beta, and it is very similar to what you would get through the portal. Although you can install the app at any point, you must be connected to CBS-Secure to complete the setup and use the Pharos Service at CBS.
- Do not download the Pharos Print app
- Launch your Android’s Google Chrome browser and go to pharos.gsb.columbia.edu. Login with your Lifetime ID and Business School password
- In the browser, click on the options icon (top right) and Add to Home screen
- Name it “GSB Printers”
Setup is complete! You can close the Pharos Print app
Pharos Printing from your Android mobile device
Printing from your Android mobile device means printing from your Android’s Chrome browser. Please refer to the Pharos Web Portal Overview to print from your Android device.
The new print and release system is currently available from all network printers in Uris Hall, Watson library, and Warren Hall. You can spot these easily because they will have the new release stations attached.
For any questions or suggestions regarding printing at CBS or any other School service, please contact the ITG Student Support at StuSup@gsb.columbia.edu.
What is Pharos?
The Pharos Printing System is a secure print solution which will allow students to print directly from any of their authenticated devices.
Can I print from any internet connection?
No, you need to be connected to the Business School’s CBS-Secure network in order to access Pharos.
How do I get access to Pharos?
Only Columbia Business School students can print to Pharos from their authenticated devices.
Where are Pharos printers located?
Throughout the school! Please see Printer Maps (top-right of this page).
How do I print to Pharos?
How much does it cost?
Absolute zero dollars $0. Not even inflation can raise this price.
Is there a time limit on my print job(s)?
Print jobs have a generous three (3) hour time limit at which point the job will expire and be deleted from your queue.
How do I authenticate or connect to Pharos after installing the mobile app?
Connect using our Server Address: pharos.gsb.columbia.edu and Port: 443, then login with your Lifetime ID and Business School password.
Why is my print job not printing?
If you have a print-protected/secured PDF, even if it’s one page out of the entire document, your print job will not print.
What document types are supported?
Support for popular file formats currently includes, Microsoft Office (.doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx), Visio (.vsd), Publisher (.pub). It also includes PDF, images (.jpg, .jpeg, .png, etc), and text (rtf, txt, ini, csv).
Can I use kiosk printers to release jobs uploaded to Pharos?
Although you could upload a print job from any computer with a web browser, printers by the kiosk banks are intended to be used with direct print jobs from the kiosk stations only. Therefore, those were not outfitted with the Pharos release terminals. Please refer to Pharos printer list for all printers with the Pharos release stations.
Using Email Printing, how do I print from an email address that is not my LifetimeID@gsb.columbia.edu?
As of now, the technology behind this service only recognizes print jobs from the following Columbia affiliated email addresses: gsb.columbia.edu, columbia.london.edu, hku.columbia.london.edu, exch.gsb.columbia.edu.