- Benefits & Features
- Student Life
- Student Organizations
- International Students
- The Culture of NYC
- Career Support
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Contact the Admissions Team
- Executive MBA
- Options & Locations
- Student Life
- Career Management
- Connect with EMBA
- Why a Columbia PhD?
- Job Market
- Current Doctoral Students
- Master of Science
- Masters of Science in Accounting and Fundamental Analysis
- Master of Science in Financial Economics
- MS in Marketing Science
- Student Life
- Current Master of Science Students
- Executive Education
- Comprehensive Management
- Social Enterprise
- Programs for Organizations
- Undergraduate Concentration
- Pre-Doctoral Research
The Columbia Business School Deferred Enrollment Program offers undergraduate students the opportunity to gain a few years of work experience with a guarantee of admission to Columbia's highly selective MBA program, and the flexibility to begin the full-time program two to five years after college graduation.
Columbia is looking for future leaders from all academic and personal backgrounds to maintain the diverse and supportive community for which Columbia is known.
Apply to Columbia Business School:
Apply during your senior year in college or during a subsequent graduate program. When reviewing your application, the admissions committee will look at your academic background, any work experience or internships that you have, and your engagement in activities outside the classroom.
Gain Work Experience:
After completing your current studies and before starting your MBA at Columbia Business School, enter the workforce for two, three, four, or five years. Use the time to explore what drives you, knowing that you have the flexibility to start the MBA program when the time is right for you.
As an admitted student you are part of the Columbia Community, and will have access to conferences, events, and School-wide resources to enhance your academic experience and to help you throughout your career.
Start Your MBA:
When you are ready to start the MBA program, send us a letter of intent, specifying whether you want to enroll in January (16-month program) or August (traditional 20-month program featuring a summer internship.) You will have the option to choose the program that fits your personal and professional goals.
Fellowships and Scholarships:
Once you send your letter of intent to start the MBA program, you will be considered for merit-based fellowships and be able to apply for need-based scholarships. Find more information on fellowships and scholarships here.
Who is eligible for the Deferred Enrollment Program:
- Students graduating during the current academic year from a bachelor's degree program.
- Students completing a graduate degree program. Candidates must have started the graduate degree program directly after completing their undergraduate degree to be eligible for the Deferred Enrollment Program.
- Students enrolled in Ph.D. programs, law school, or medical school are not eligible. Please apply through the standard MBA or EMBA application process.
- Online application
- Academic transcript
- Standardized test scores (GMAT or GRE)
- Current resume (feel free to include a note on any post undergraduate job offers)
- One letter of recommendation from a professor, mentor, internship supervisor or employer
- Three short answer questions
Candidates will be notified if they are invited to interview with Columbia Business School.
There is no application fee for students who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or eligible graduate-level program. Once admitted, students will be required to submit a $500 deposit two weeks after admission. Subsequent deposits will be due each year that you defer. The year that you decide to matriculate you will also be required to verify your work experience during the deferral period.
- The Deferred Enrollment application will open December 2018 and closes April 15, 2019
- Applications will only be reviewed after the April 15, 2019 deadline
- Interview invitations will be sent on or before April 30, 2019
- Final decisions will be released on a rolling basis and within one week of your interview being conducted
Contact us to learn more about the Deferred Enrollment Program.
Walk-in hours: M-F 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Uris Hall Room 216
New York, NY 10027