The fifth annual Real Estate Symposium took place on December 4, 2012, at Columbia University’s Faculty House, with more than 180 alumni representing classes from 1961 to 2012. David E. Simon ’85, chairman and CEO, Simon Property Group, delivered the keynote address.
Hosted by the Paul Milstein Center for Real Estate and the Real Estate Circle of Columbia Business School, the Real Estate Symposium is an annual educational forum that brings together accomplished Columbia Business School alumni and top industry leaders for a broad-based discussion of topical issues, high-profile transactions, trends, and challenges facing the real estate industry.
- Opening Remarks and Keynote Address
- Main Panel: Assessing Risk and Return in a Global Real Estate Market
- New York Panel: Real Estate Development in New York City in the Digital Age
- Equity Capital Markets Panel: Consolidating and Recapitalizing Real Estate Businesses
- Debt Panel Report: Special Servicing—360 Degrees
(For a full-screen view, click on the icon at lower right of the slideshow. For captions, click on "Show Info" at upper right of the full-screen view.)
Schedule of Events
|1:00||Opening Remarks: Lynne B. Sagalyn, Earle W. Kazis and Benjamin Schore professor of Real Estate and Director, the Paul Milstein Center for Real Estate, Columbia Business School|
|1:15||Keynote speaker: David E. Simon ’85|
- Consolidating and Recapitalizing Real Estate Businesses
With panelists Stephen J. Furnary, Michael Lehrman ’90, Matthew J. Lustig, and Glenn J. Rufrano. Moderated by Jeffrey A. Barclay ’83.
- Real Estate Development in New York City in the Digital Age
With panelists Tom Bow ’87, Tommy Craig ’82, MaryAnne Gilmartin, and Douglas MacLaury ’81. Moderated by John Livingston.
- Special Servicing: 360 Degrees
With panelists Robert Lieber, Regina Lubin ’05, and Stephen Meister. Moderated by Darrell Wheeler.
Main Panel: Assessing Risk and Return in a Global Real Estate Market
Introduction: Nancy Lashine ’81, Park Madison Partners, Chair of the 2012 Real Estate Symposium Planning Committee
With panelists Peter Ballon, Adam Gallistel ’04, and James A. Stolpestad II. Moderated by Lynne B. Sagalyn.
|5:00-6:00||Real Estate Association Networking Reception|
Panelists and Moderators
- Peter Ballon, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- Jeffrey A. Barclay ’83, Goldman, Sachs & Co. and Columbia Business School
- Tom Bow ’87, The Durst Organization
- Tommy Craig ’82, Hines and Columbia Business School
- Stephen J. Furnary, Clarion Partners
- Adam Gallistel ’04, GIC Real Estate
- MaryAnne Gilmartin, Forest City Ratner Companies
- Michael Lehrman ’90, Cantor Fitzgerald/Newmark Grubb Knight Frank
- Robert Lieber, Island Capital Group
- John T. Livingston, Tishman Construction Corporation and Columbia Business School
- Regina Lubin ’05, CW Capital
- Matthew J. Lustig, Lazard Frères & Co
- Douglas MacLaury ’81, Mattone Group
- Stephen Meister, Meister Seelig & Fein LLP
- Glenn Rufrano, Cushman & Wakefield
- Lynne B. Sagalyn, Columbia Business School
- James A. Stolpestad II, Allianz Real Estate of America
- Darrell Wheeler, Amherst Securities Group