- Message from Co-directors
- Racial Equity and Social Enterprise
- Program Brochure
- Faculty & Staff
- Advisory Board
- Contact Us
- Experiential Learning
- Social Ventures
- Case Studies
- Faculty Viewpoints
- 2022 Climate Business & Investment Conference
- 2021 Climate Science & Investment Conference
- 2019 Climate Science & Investment Conference
- Are Americans Primarily Suffering from Income Inequality or Lack of Opportunity? Diagnosing the Problem and Proposing Solutions
- Northeast Workshop on Energy Policy and Environmental Economics
- 2018 Climate Science & Investment Conference
- The Near-term Impacts of Climate Change on Investors
- Solutions to Post-Incarceration Employment and Entrepreneurship
- Fulfilling the Promise of Education Technology
- Managing Schools to Improve Teacher Performance
- The Economics and Psychology of Poverty
- Measuring and Creating Excellence in Schools
- The American Healthcare Landscape in 2014
- Microfinance Symposium
- Research Resources
Research Symposium: Credit Markets for the Poor
This research symposium brought together practitioners, scholars, and policy makers interested in improving the access to credit markets for the poor. Topics included the existing state of borrowing rates, default rates, and the methods used for financing and risk management of micro-loans, which is a specific method for lending to poor. In addition to informing the participants about the existing state-of-the art practices in microfinance, the symposium also identified major research questions facing this area in the years to come, and resulted in a publication: Microfinance: Emerging Trends and Challenges, edited by Suresh Sundaresan, the Chase Manhattan Bank Professor of Finance and Economics at Columbia Business School.
Friday April 20th, 2007
8:30 AM – 4:15 PM
Venue: The Italian Academy
1161 Amsterdam Avenue (between 117th and 118th Streets)
New York (directions and online map).
|8:30 – 8:45 AM||
Breakfast and Conference Registration.
|8:45 – 8:55 AM||
Welcome and Introduction
|9:00 – 9:30 AM||
Academic Presentation: "Overview of Credit Markets for the Poor"
|9:30 – 10:15 AM||
Academic Presentation: "The Next Billion Microfinance Customers"
|10:15 – 10:30
|10:30 – 12:00
Practitioner panel discussion: "Risk Assessment and Management with Capital Markets"
Damian von Stauffenberg, Founder and Principal of MicroRate:
|12:00 – 1:30 PM||
Break / Buffet Lunch
|1:00 – 1:30 PM||
Lunch discussion with Mini Roy, Managing Director, Export & Agency Finance at Citigroup Global Markets:
|1:30 – 2:00 PM||
Academic Presentation: "Gender Empowerment"
|2:00 – 2:30 AM||
Academic Presentation: "Defaults and borrowing rates in micro-loans: some evidence, and the role of contract design and competition" (download PDF)
|2:30 – 2:45 PM||
|2:45 – 4:15 PM||
Practitioner panel discussion: "Risk Sharing with Banks, Regulatory Challenges, and Technology in Lending"
Richard Rosenberg, CGAP and World Bank:
Bindu Ananth, ICICI Bank:
Anand Shrivastav, Suvidha:
Researchers and faculty who would like to attend future symposiums can contact: [email protected].